Author Topic: Hophornbeam static recurve help  (Read 7411 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Hophornbeam static recurve help
« on: August 20, 2013, 02:37:11 am »
Yeah yeah I know a static recurve is t the beat plan for my second self bow. But I'm hooked on the static recurve, so I don't care if I mess it up a million times. I gotta make one. I have this and a hickory stave. Hopefully one makes it! With the help of everyone here. I would greatly appreciate it. LF 50-55# @ 30" just to be safe. I'm 6'4" and the stave is taller than me. So I know it's in there. Just gotta free it. I'd like it to be about 60" or somewhere near there. So any dimension suggestions? I was thinking 2" to 1/2" pyramid style. I figure a working handle to make it a little shorter. Let me know if I'm nuts, well I know I'm nuts, so what yas think?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Blaflair2

Re: Hophornbeam static recurve help
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 02:39:14 am »
Also not all the bark is off. I know  :laugh:

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 03:16:46 am »
So you want a 60 inch static recurve at 30 inch draw for your second self bow ? Ughhh good luck You are going to have to go longer then that no question
I like osage

Offline 1442

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 03:38:12 am »
I would make wider limbs out farther from the handle to minimize set. you gonna need a lot of bend in the mid section and set will be your biggest hurdle in my mind,  I've never built a static recurve actualy so...

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 03:38:50 am »
You should probably give it a few more inches in length, 64- 66" would shoot fine and would be less likely to fail.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 03:39:59 am »
60" - 8" (handle and fades) = 52"/2=26" That tells you that a 60" bow with a normal handle and straight limbs should comfortably give you a 26" draw if it's well designed and tillered. Adding static recurves will substatially reduce the effective working portion of the limbs (not sure by how much exactly) reducing the safe draw length even further. You could, of course make it a bend through the handle which would give you back 4" of safe draw length on the straight limbed design making 30" doable but still not with recurves. A good sinew backing on the bend through the handle, static recurve could possibly tip the balance back in your favor but I think that's a tall order for a second bow. I really recommend building some simpler designs to get the hang of tillering or at least make it longer like Joe said. Good luck.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 06:01:28 am »
60" - 8" (handle and fades) = 52"/2=26" That tells you that a 60" bow with a normal handle and straight limbs should comfortably give you a 26" draw if it's well designed and tillered. Adding static recurves will substatially reduce the effective working portion of the limbs (not sure by how much exactly) reducing the safe draw length even further. You could, of course make it a bend through the handle which would give you back 4" of safe draw length on the straight limbed design making 30" doable but still not with recurves. A good sinew backing on the bend through the handle, static recurve could possibly tip the balance back in your favor but I think that's a tall order for a second bow. I really recommend building some simpler designs to get the hang of tillering or at least make it longer like Joe said. Good luck.

I told him the exact thing on the board bow weylin, I think  he's got glass bow syndrome with what all he wants, lets see what he can do
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 06:01:52 am »
60 inches at 30 draw,to short as the others said,but you said you didn't care if it took a million so go for it.  :) I'm sure some will chime in and say they do it all the time, :-\ but for me it would have to be 64/66 at least for that draw. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 10:32:16 am »
I'm willing to make it longer. Like 64" sound good? It is gonna be a bendy handle. I've searched around an ppl were making a 56" static @ 29" draw. But I didn't bookmark it  :'( like I said I'd like help with the dimensions and stuff. That was just my idea but that's y I asked. I'm getting over my glassituss but I really want a static to hunt with. So I figure I gotta try. So would 2.5" wide be ok? Should I not go for a pyramid style? I'm gong to finish the bark and then start laying it out tonight. So if like to figure out the dimensions. I don't really want it that wide. But if everyone thinks its more doable then I will. Nothing is set in stone yet. Just looking for ideas that can help me. Thanks. In sure it won't work. But maybe it will.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 11:02:56 am »
I would go at least 64 66 even better,1 3/4 to 1 7/8 inches at the fads to about mid limb,then tapper to the tip. :) You probably will have to steam or boil the tips to get a static bend in the Hickory,it will more than likely break or at least pop up a bad splinter if you try it with heat. As far as someone making one on pp or here for that matter,no one said it couldn't be done,just tough to do and especially for a beginner That's all we were saying. Trying to save you a little heart ache. :) If you go 2 or more  wide/that short in length and that long a draw for the weight you want it is going to be very very thin and if the tiller ant prefect it will fret,almost guaranteed ,again tough for a beginner. Now go have some fun. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 11:35:45 am »
I'm willing to make it longer. Like 64" sound good? It is gonna be a bendy handle. I've searched around an ppl were making a 56" static @ 29" draw. But I didn't bookmark it  :'( like I said I'd like help with the dimensions and stuff. That was just my idea but that's y I asked. I'm getting over my glassituss but I really want a static to hunt with. So I figure I gotta try. So would 2.5" wide be ok? Should I not go for a pyramid style? I'm gong to finish the bark and then start laying it out tonight. So if like to figure out the dimensions. I don't really want it that wide. But if everyone thinks its more doable then I will. Nothing is set in stone yet. Just looking for ideas that can help me. Thanks. In sure it won't work. But maybe it will.

Yea and almost all of those short static recurves are Osage backed with sinew
I like osage

Offline Newindian

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 12:43:05 pm »
You realize what recurves mostly do to a bow is make them look cool, they don't really have much of an advantage over other designs
I like free stuff.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 12:46:59 pm »
I cant agree with you on that Newindian. You'd have to either build, or shoot a true static to feel the difference. Are they faster? Not always. Is the early string tension much higher? You bet it is. Does that matter? It sure does. Shoot one and you will see the difference is more than appearance or coolness. I promise I wouldn't spend the time on them I do if coolness was the only factor. Its last on my list of pre-req's.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 12:52:58 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Don Case

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 01:11:18 pm »
Is the idea behind recurves to effectively lengthen and shorten the bow as it is drawn and released? I'm thinking that would put more power at the end of the stroke. Kind of like a wheelie(puttuiee) bow.
Don

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 01:17:04 pm »
It would seem that way Don.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.