Author Topic: First hunt with my stick bow  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Tiredtim

First hunt with my stick bow
« on: August 19, 2013, 10:06:55 pm »
This is going to be my first year to hunt with the board bow I made last year.  I have never hunted this way.  All the deer I have killed (really not that many, believe me) have been from a box stand.  I would GREATLY appreciate any and all help with hunting strategy. Thanks in advance. 

owlbait

Re: First hunt with my stick bow
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 09:58:56 am »
Good luck. If your hunting from a treestand, try to select a tree with plenty of back cover so you can move a bit to get ready for your shot. Even when I shot other types of bows I've aways set up for shot opportunities of 15 yards and less. Been fortunate to shoot several at less than 10 and even less than 5 yards. Set up for the predominant wind, move slow, stay silent. Let the arrow go when YOUR ready. Have fun. I shot my first selfbow deer last year at about 12 yards. Even my old, slow, hickory bow covered that distance in plenty of time on a relaxed and unaware animal. 

Offline Marks

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 11:28:05 am »
On TV you always hear the guy make a sound to get the deer to stop. Don't do that if you don't have to. I saw a show the other day and the deer stopped and then the guy made the noise to get him to look. If the deer is completely clueless you will have less chance of them jumping the string.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 09:39:33 am »
  Your not shooting a compound where you can draw then wait for the deer to get into a place to shoot. With a self bow it's all into motion. Learn to let the deer go by you before you move to draw. I'm with make I never make a noise to stop the deer. I don't have a problem shooting a buck walking. If you need him to stop I use to put a small amount of some kinda sent. Where I want the buck to stop.
   I keep all my set ups to where my shot is 10,15 yards. It's nothing like getting in a mature bucks zone under 20. Starting out any deer for that matter.
 I can shoot father but bow hunting is'nt it getting close. A must for a slow self bow. So know your limits (range). I'm your your going to lose plenty of arrows takeing shots later you'll say what was I thinking.
  Pataince is taught, turkey hunting for over 40 years has taught me this. I've only ground hunted since 08. I can set rock still for 1/2 hour to and hour before I'll have to move a little. Even stand hunting learn to set still. I mean really still work on doing this.
   Even though I've stand hunted for over 30 years so I know you can get away with a lot more. But I still worked on setting still.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Saxton

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 06:41:54 pm »
make sure your bow is in your hand or able to quickly reach it without noise , as soon as you see the deer get ready and like Marks said don't try to stop the deer with the noise it will most likely turn inside out at least around here . Try to make a move when the deer not looking in your direction if its walking wait for the front shoulder to move forward, draw in one fluid motion and PICK A SPOT ,PICK A SPOT, PICK A SPOT, release ,follow threw , Shake like crazy  :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 07:02:16 pm »
And never look 'em in the eye, until they are down for 30 minutes!  Somehow these critters just get all cranked up scared if they see eye contact.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 10:08:41 am »
 JW's 100% right turkeys are worse than deer for this.
 Also I set up to where the buck ,gobblers in range by the time I see them.
 REMMBER IT YOU CAN SEE THE ANAIMAL HE CAN SEE YOU.
 This is exspecially true for turkeys.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline littlehunters19862011

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 07:43:57 pm »
marks is right about that last seasion i made that mastake  on a doe that was allready  jumpy she was around 15yards if that and she new sumthing was up  i used my call to get here in close after 20 minits she made here way up to me with in the 15 yards or closer rang and  we had a 15 min it stare down  i did not move a muscle  after that she trued and started to walk back the other way i drew my bow back and gave out a light  maaac she it scared here  . i went for the shot but my arrow hit sum small tree in the way of were she was lession learned