Author Topic: how to make rawhide  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Shondy55

how to make rawhide
« on: November 09, 2013, 10:06:35 am »
hey all once you skin your deer do you soak the hide in water for a day or do you just get straight to scraping?   
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: how to make rawhide
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 10:36:05 am »
There are 2 methods, wet and dry, if you want to remove the hair.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Shondy55

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 11:00:15 pm »
Pat, i want to remove the hair from the hide
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 12:28:31 am »
For the wet method you will need to soak the hide in lye water for a few days until the hair slips. When you get all the hair off you tack it out to dry.
 With the dry method you stretch out the hide and let it dry than scrape the hair off. Pappy uses this method when he makes brain tanned leather. I don't have the experience to give you more details but I'm sure someone will chime in  with more help for you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 01:49:44 am »
When I get a hide, the first thing I do is soak it in soapy water for an hour to kill any ticks and wash out the blood and dirt.  Then rinse.  Then I scrape of any remaining flesh and membrane off the inside (non-hair side).  Then I drop in into a solution of water and hydrated lime (about 1/2 cup of hydrated lime per gallon) and let it sit for two days or so (stirring twice a day) until the hair starts to slip.  Then I take it out and scrape all the hair off and hang it out to dry.

My first "adventure" (2008) with rawhide is here:

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,9956.0.html
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 07:25:45 am »
I use the dry scrape method,first it the hide is fresh I scrap all the meat/fat and membrane off the flesh side,very important to get the membrane off,all of it. Then
punch holes of the edge all the way around 3 or 4 inches a part. Then rack it up.
Loose to start and go back over a few times until it tight,being careful not to pull out the holes. Let it dry and it will get tight as a drum.Then scrap the hair off. I have a tool to do that but I have seen it done with flakes and have made some home made scrapers to do it with also. Slipping the hair may be a little easier but a bigger mess, I was taught the dry method and have never tried the wet. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 08:49:53 am »
Pappy can uou post a pic of your tool?  I have a buckskin to try in the near future also.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 09:17:14 am »
I will see if I can find them ,if not I will get a picture this weekend and post them Monday. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 09:26:02 am »
If you do use the lye method ( wood ash and water) be sure to rinse it thoroughly before working , and use rubber gloves . Lye is caustic and can cause some severe chemical burns that sneak up on you. A friend scraped a hide without rinsing and paid dearly for it. I've never used the hydrated lyme but I'm guessing that there would be warning labels on it. The wood ashes usually don't come with labels ;)