Author Topic: Static board bow?  (Read 2898 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Static board bow?
« on: August 17, 2013, 06:59:05 pm »
I aborted my first plan for a red oak static recurve board bow. I was wondering how wide to make it, i was thinking 2"-2.5" wide and going for a pyramid style. Prolly like 60-64" ntn. Anyone saw one or have any ideas?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline bubby

Re: Static board bow?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 01:55:18 am »
use these demensions and you sould be o.k. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.0.html
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 11:34:00 am »
If I backed it with leather and left enough on each side say 4" and then cut it into strands and French braided it down the belly of the bow, is that possible? In my head it'd make it stronger. Any thoughts?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 11:51:19 am »
Leather is not a good bow backing. The method you suggest would do little for the performance of a bow.
 IMO, a board bow is not a good candidate for a static recurve bow, especially for a relative newby. How many bows have you built? Have you learned proper tillering? That would be a prerequisite to building a highly stressed bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Newindian

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 01:14:41 pm »
64" is kind of short for a red oak flat bow
I like free stuff.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 06:11:06 pm »
Leather is not a good bow backing. The method you suggest would do little for the performance of a bow.
 IMO, a board bow is not a good candidate for a static recurve bow, especially for a relative newby. How many bows have you built? Have you learned proper tillering? That would be a prerequisite to building a highly stressed bow.

+1 and make it at least 68" long for your draw. It's my guess that the bow we told you wasn't going to work in your other thread didn't work? Start simple. Remember a well made bow with a touch of string follow will shoot much faster than a poorly made static recurve.

Jon

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 07:13:29 pm »
I actually tried cutting it into a thin lamination with the siyahs on it. Forgot to clean the glue of one part so it was at angle. So I cut the siyahs off to use on this possibly? Or something. Lol. Ill figure it out