Author Topic: two-piece white oak  (Read 906 times)

Offline Tom Kurth

two-piece white oak
« on: August 18, 2013, 11:53:08 pm »
Some newbie questions here. Was in my shop this PM and strayed across a piece of quarter-sawn white oak 1.25" wide x 2.75" deep x 46" long. I know almost nothing about two-piece bows, but am guessing this is a good candidate. I tried a search but didn't find answers to my principal questions. 1) Is there any reason not to cut both billets from one stick, bearing in mind that one would come from inside the other? 2) Since this piece is not perfectly quartered, I'm thinking that after cutting into billets, I should spin one billet around so that growth rings line up better. Am I on track with that? 3) Assuming this is a good idea so far, what kind of final dimensions should I try to achieve a draw weight of about 55#. Any other comments welcome  as well.

Thanks,
Tom
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri

blackhawk

Re: two-piece white oak
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 08:01:44 am »
If you try cutting it in half lengthwise to splice em together your only left with an 1 1/4" thickness at best due to waste from the saw blade...its enough for a splice and a glued on handle to beef it up,but you only have 1 1/4" of width...personally I'd want more than that for oak....and personally it sounds like a good candidate for ripping it into backing strips for backed bows...but that's just me