Author Topic: recurves before or after tillering?  (Read 3216 times)

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
recurves before or after tillering?
« on: August 29, 2013, 11:57:50 am »
It seems that at if I tiller the bow at least to brace height (probably more) then add recurves the tiller should stay fairly even. is this correct or am I missing part of the equation? I thought that getting the bow to full draw with perfect tillering then recurving the ends and having to make adjustments would be a longer path than just getting the bows tiller mostly balanced to half draw then recurving, then finish tillering.

John, Central NY
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline dwardo

Re: recurves before or after tillering?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 12:04:20 pm »
I have done it both ways in the past but these days I setup the whole profile recurves included well before brace.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 12:16:02 pm »
I prefer to build a recurve as a recurve from the get go. By adding recurves after tillering or even after brace will add more stress to the limbs and that can chance the tiller.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 12:17:55 pm »
It all depends.I like to have my limbs all ready before tillering because I want my string alignment to be dead nuts.Now if a person comes in under weight tillering they can be added later for a little more poundage but exactly the same in both limbs or whatever.The steeper the recurve or static the more poundage you'll get.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 01:10:17 pm »
I like to get the blank all straight and/or tempered. Then a good floor tiller. And finally I steam the statics in and tiller the bow out.
 I answered assuming true static recurves being built.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 04:09:26 pm »
I had a few red oak staves I cut over the winter. I have the 4 bowyers bibles and I wanted to use a drawing from the book. so I looked for a drawing that had a description of being red oak and un backed (being that I have no sinew or rawhide... or experience with it really). found one in the first volume in the western plains indians chapter. I am not going for the exact design
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 05:08:54 pm »
    Personally I don't flip tips but some people like the look as well as a little faster bow. If I do flip tips I get it to floor tiller then flip my tips.
  When you tiller straight tips,then you flip the tips. The limb wood has more stress than straight limbs. Maybe the exture stress would'nt mattler on the limbs pulling even. But woods is wood it just might and if it dose then the tillers off.
  I think (and do) it's better to tiller after the tips are fliped.

But I could see doing it the other way. And hope the tiller stays the same.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING