Author Topic: **Beginner** Starting a Red Oak Board Bow  (Read 13447 times)

Offline jpschersch

**Beginner** Starting a Red Oak Board Bow
« on: August 16, 2013, 02:29:31 pm »
Good afternoon all!  This is my first post on here and I'm really new to all this, so bear with me.

I've been looking at A LOT of videos and walkthroughs/guides related to building a self bow.  I've decided to start this experience using a Red Oak board from Lowe's and probably a Black Walnut grip extention....but not sure on that wood, we'll see.  I purchased a few tools (Rasp, C-Clamps, Vise Grip, File) and 2 Red Oak boards that have what I think are decent grain to start with.  I looked at Poor Folk Bows site and he backed with Drywall tape (which I saw BoarriorBows do as well) but I'm not sure I like the look/feel of what it would be (maybe someone can talk me into/out of it?).  I also saw a lot of threads regarding using another wood backing (like hickory or bamboo...) but my main question on that is how/when do you put it on the bow....before you cut? after you cut? after you tiller? before? Just not sure on that process...With Silk or Linen cloth as backing, you do that after tillering, right?   Anyway, I know these are probably easy questions, but as a complete newbie (remember how I JUST bought my first rasp? lol..) any info is appreciated!

Thanks!
Joe

Offline autologus

Re: **Beginner** Starting a Red Oak Board Bow
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 03:11:34 pm »
Don't use drywall tape, use silk or linen instead.  You apply the cloth backings after tillering, these type backing are for safety purposes and do not affect the tiller to any appreciable degree and they will not add any poundage to the draw weight.  Bubby has a great build-a-long for making a board bow in the link below.  You can follow it using just hand tools just fine, the dimensions will work well with red oak.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.0.html

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline jpschersch

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 04:52:44 pm »
Thanks for the link, I'll have to take a look. 

Can you stain the bow after backing with linen or silk? 

Thanks,
Joe

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 05:21:32 pm »
Not to disagree with grady ,I put the backing before.in my mind it may prevent a failure juring the tillering process as I have broken many bows at that stage.not sure about the stain ,but you could prob dye it or paint.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline autologus

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 05:46:19 pm »
Putting the backing on after floor tiller and before final tiller like Bushboy said is probably the safest way to do it.  He definitely has more experience that me so I will defer to him on that.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 05:56:23 pm »
Grady I defintely have more experience "BREAKING" bows!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 06:08:09 pm »
JP,
 Welcome to PA. you have found the greatest well of knowledge. There are many here who love to share and help! Love to see the bow when your done :)
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline jpschersch

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 11:44:07 pm »
So, floor tiller, back with linen or silk, then finish tillering? Then if I want to stain it, do I just stain over the linen or cloth? Or how do I do that? Sorry for repeat question, just wondering.

Thanks!
Joe

Offline jpschersch

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 11:52:14 pm »
Oh, one other question. When I glue on a riser (that's what it's called right? The piece that makes it thicker and more solid in the handle), what kinds of woods are recommended? I was thinking black walnut but not able to find it currently. Basically looking for wood I can find at Home Depot, lowes, or wherever is easy to find ;)

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 11:56:25 pm »
The riser can be pretty much anything. Pick a wood that you like the look of and that contrasts or compliments the red oak.

Offline jpschersch

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 01:48:46 am »
Alright cool! Anybody who's done a red oak board bow have any recommendations on what looks good?

Thank
Joe

Offline bushboy

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 10:02:38 am »
Walnut would be cool

Offline Maxspin

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 05:25:15 pm »
I have made the risers out of more red oak. First couple of bows are a learning process.

Offline jpschersch

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 02:22:50 am »
Very true statement. So what you guys are saying is it doesn't really matter what my riser wood is.  Right?

Thanks.
Joe

Offline bushboy

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 11:13:57 am »
The riser doesn't bend so the choice is yours anything will do.eastern red cedar would look good!