Author Topic: *UPDATE* 48" Red Oak Board bow Completed!!  (Read 10703 times)

Offline skarhand

Re: 48" Red Oak Board bow
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 04:55:18 pm »
Thanks, I will definitely work on getting the fade/riser transition good and smooth. I know I have a lot to take off once I start tillering at its still between 1/2 to 5/8 thick for the first 8-10 inches off the riser. Like was stated above that will need to be taken down to somewhere in the 1/4" - 3/8" range if I want my son to be able to pull it back, lol. I am going to shoot for #15-20 at 12-18" draw or somewhere in that range.

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 08:15:01 pm »
at 1/4" thick 1 1/2" at the fades to 1/2" tips and you will be spot on draw weight at that draw length
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline skarhand

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 11:41:05 pm »
*UPDATE*

Had a great time working on this over the weekend!! Here are some pics. I am going to buy some finer sand paper and some finish tomorrow.

Any inexpensive ideas for strings? I don't really want to get anything expensive as it will probably get beat up/frayed. Preferably something I can get in a spool, LOL.

Using my precision scale (2 - 5# sacks of flower and a 5# sack of potatoes in a basket) it pulls 15# at 16 inches.

Here are some pics:

Final timbering:

Testing draw poundage:

After a bit more roughing on the handle:

Close up near completion:

Thanks for looking guys. I hope this will be my first of many!! Any final tips or critiques would be greatly appreciated.

Skar

Offline bubby

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 12:40:03 am »
get a roll of b-50 bowstring material and learn the Flemish twist, it is easy to build strings

Don Case

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 01:03:17 am »
That kind of scale is probably more accurate than what a lot of people are using. I was using a 50# fishing scale and found that 50# was closer to 40.
Don

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 03:06:18 am »
Could you explain to me how you get your draw weight using this method, I was trying to figure out a way to do weigh my bow with out a pull scale or something similar since I don't own one.

Thanks
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline skarhand

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 07:34:48 am »
Could you explain to me how you get your draw weight using this method, I was trying to figure out a way to do weigh my bow with out a pull scale or something similar since I don't own one.

Thanks

Sure, all I did was put something that I knew the weight of (in this case 3, 5# items) in a basket and lifted it with the bowstring. Then I took a tape measure and measured how many inches the string drew back with that known weight. You could do the same with barbells, larger bags of flour, etc. Anything with a known weight.

Another question, any recommendations on how I should finish it? I am sure it is going to get banged about and I want a finish that will wear well. I was thinking linseed oil or sanding sealer/polyurethane, but I could easily be convinced to try something else, lol. 

Offline autologus

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 10:15:05 am »
One of the easiest ways to check draw weight is to put your tillering tree on a set of bathroom scales and pull the bow down to the draw length and see what the weight is and subtract the weight of the tree and bow.  The best part of this is almost everyone has a set of bathroom scales.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline skarhand

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 10:36:57 am »
One of the easiest ways to check draw weight is to put your tillering tree on a set of bathroom scales and pull the bow down to the draw length and see what the weight is and subtract the weight of the tree and bow.  The best part of this is almost everyone has a set of bathroom scales.

Grady

Got rid of our bathroom scale when we moved from CA to PA. I spent an hour look for it through boxes before my wife reminded me we had yard saled it, LOL.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 12:07:22 pm »
Skarhand,
  Welcome to the sickness! Looks like your on your way. some ones getting a really nice bow. next youll need to make some arrows, then a quiver, then an arm guard then a release, then a bow sleeve oooo no my head hurts >:D
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 01:26:04 pm »
Nothing's more satisfying than making a kid's bow in my opinion. Great job - on more than just bow building!

Offline skarhand

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 04:17:45 pm »
get a roll of b-50 bowstring material and learn the Flemish twist, it is easy to build strings

Is that something I'd need to order offline, or are there any stores that might stock it locally? Hobby Lobby, Wal-mart, etc?

The only archery store in my area is about 25 miles in the opposite direction of where I live.

Offline bubby

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 06:04:02 pm »
you can get it online at 3 rivers or pine hollow, most of the online suppliers will have it

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 12:09:07 am »

Is that something I'd need to order offline, or are there any stores that might stock it locally? Hobby Lobby, Wal-mart, etc?

The only archery store in my area is about 25 miles in the opposite direction of where I live.

Buy it offline is your best bet most local archery stores dont sell there bow string material but will sell you a pre made bowstring for what would be cheaper to buy your own material to make your own strings.
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline skarhand

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 10:49:44 am »
Yea I gathered that, lol. The bow shop I called said they didn't sell it but they could make me one pretty cheap. He assured me it would be MAX $25, depending on the length, lol.