Author Topic: Snake Skin Question  (Read 1559 times)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
Snake Skin Question
« on: August 15, 2013, 06:28:27 am »
I've searched and everything I find says to dry the skin by tacking it flat with no borax or salt cure.  Then to rehydrate it before applying it to the bow with TBIII or similar adhesive.

My question is if you have the skin fleshed and clean, why not apply a fresh skin? Rehydrating it puts it back basically that way. Just wondering, what say the experienced ones???  Thanks!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Snake Skin Question
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 06:44:58 am »
You can for sure do that,guess sometimes it's hard to find a fresh one when you need it, ;) ;) so I usually just dry them the way you mentioned and put them away till I need them.  :) I have used fresh skins and they work great. :) A little easier to store also dried and rolled up rather that dead snakes in the freezer. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 01:34:58 pm »
Thanks Pappy!  I just assumed everyone had snakes in their house.. Freezer, that's an interesting concept..   ::)

Offline Poggins

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 01:42:17 pm »
My brother brought me two more copperheads that he killed in his front yard yesterday evening , I think the rains are making them look for higher ground , he got a little rough when dealing with them and messed up the first two or three inches but they look nice.

Offline autologus

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 02:39:09 pm »
Is it bad that I have snakes in my freezer too?  On a side note be sure to tell the wife that they are in there though so she doesnt find them while looking for some ground beef.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline dbb

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 02:56:43 pm »
Is it bad that I have snakes in my freezer too?  On a side note be sure to tell the wife that they are in there though so she doesnt find them while looking for some ground beef.

Grady
Its not bad but dont forget them there,i did for 3 years...let me tell you its bloody hard to skin a freezedried snake!!
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...