Author Topic: Tree ID, Elm?  (Read 5058 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Tree ID, Elm?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 12:01:23 am »
BEWARE, that looks like poison ivy vines on one of those trees. The one with the fuzzy air roots all along it.

Yes Sir,

Looks like its in both trees...
And good sized at that.
Have any good friends that ain't allergic to Poison Ivy?

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 12:21:35 am »
I suppose my book could be wrong.. Wouldnt be the 1st time, lol. However.. I would bet a paycheck its not hackberry..... But keep in mind im not workin right now so i aint gettin a paycheck, lol.. On another note.. Poison ivy sux. Just got over a bad bout with it, had to do Prednisone shot cuz it was in all the wrong places, lol. I will try and get a pic of my hackberry inda daylight tomorrow... maybe there are sub-species? My book is aimed only at Mo. so who knows...
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 03:16:29 pm »
I suppose my book could be wrong.. Wouldnt be the 1st time, lol. However.. I would bet a paycheck its not hackberry..... But keep in mind im not workin right now so i aint gettin a paycheck, lol.. On another note.. Poison ivy sux. Just got over a bad bout with it, had to do Prednisone shot cuz it was in all the wrong places, lol. I will try and get a pic of my hackberry inda daylight tomorrow... maybe there are sub-species? My book is aimed only at Mo. so who knows...

Guess im real lucky when it comes to poison ivy. When i was a kid i always used it like a rope to climb over some big rocks it covered. Now whenever i find it around the house i just grab it with my bare hands and pull it out. I have a nephew tho that catches it if he walks a hundred yards down wind from it.
Steve Bennett

Offline autologus

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 04:08:16 pm »
It sure looks like Elm to me.  If I had a close up of the bark I would be for sure.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 04:36:29 pm »

Yes Sir,

Looks like its in both trees...
And good sized at that.
Have any good friends that ain't allergic to Poison Ivy?

:)

-gus

well, i can tell you for sure that definitly either hackberry or elm. I have seen both in person and those leaves are spot on american elm.
chop it down and try to split it. super hard to split- elm. easy to moderate- hackberry.
i would like a better pic of the bark...
this is hackberry.

this is elm-
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 05:13:35 pm »
Plus Hackberry has pith in the twig, Elm does not. Per Petersons tree identification field guide. Both leaf structures are similar.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250