Author Topic: Tree ID, Elm?  (Read 5059 times)

Offline Strongbow

Tree ID, Elm?
« on: August 14, 2013, 10:35:54 pm »
I have access to a 1 acre wooded lot, that is going to be cleared for a house within the next year.  It has hickory, ash, sugar maple and oak.  Trying to pick which trees I want to cut and saw these today and I don't know what they are, but thought it could be a variety of elm.  I am located in eastern PA if that helps.

Leaves are serrated and pointed, alternate.  Branches are also alternate.

Here is a photo of the trunks.  There are 3 of them around 15-18" diameter.  The trees are growing 50-60' tall

Thanks for any help!  Crossing fingers for bow wood.

Offline Joec123able

Re: Tree ID, Elm?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 10:43:24 pm »
I think its hackberry not 100% bit pretty sure
If it is hackberry its very very good bow wood so wheather you got elm or hackberry there it's top notch wood either way
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 10:55:21 pm by Joec123able »
I like osage

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 10:52:22 pm »
Looks like hackberry in my area.....Got access to a little myself....Good bow wood from what I've heard....No experience here ..Yet
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 10:56:54 pm »
Just looked it up in my tree ID book... American Elm... My book is trees of Mo. ... But your pics match my pics and discription.. Hope this helps... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 11:00:40 pm »
The bark is very similar to hackberry but hackberry leaves are ovate and bigger on one side of leaf.. Most hackberry ridges are way more pronounced... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline smoky#1

• Clayton Porter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 11:06:01 pm »
i'd say hackberry
smoky, Bassett NE

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 11:07:34 pm »
Cut that Sucker Down...

If the Wood is Creamy White I'd say Hackberry, taking your photos into account.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 11:12:30 pm »
BEWARE, that looks like poison ivy vines on one of those trees. The one with the fuzzy air roots all along it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 11:17:57 pm »
This is a hackberry leaf.. Sorry for poor quality pic, only internet i have is this dang Iphone, lol

Offline Strongbow

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 11:19:41 pm »
BEWARE, that looks like poison ivy vines on one of those trees. The one with the fuzzy air roots all along it.

Pat-Thanks for the warning.  I'm pretty sure it is poison ivy. 

I had not thought of hackberry since I'm not familiar with it.  But I looked it up I'm pretty sure you guys are right.  Guess I gotta cut one down and make some bows :)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 11:27:45 pm »
Leaves are wrong for hackberry... Unless the hackberry in my yard is fibbin to me, lol... Either way its good wood :) cut it down and split it up :)... If it splits easy its hackberry.. If it makes you cuss its elm. Goodluck ;)... Brian

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 11:30:22 pm »
Leaves are wrong for hackberry... Unless the hackberry in my yard is fibbin to me, lol... Either way its good wood :) cut it down and split it up :)... If it splits easy its hackberry.. If it makes you cuss its elm. Goodluck ;)... Brian
Hackberry and elm are related trees hackberry can be tough to split too
I like osage

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 11:38:54 pm »
Agreed but unless theres more than one kind of hackberry( im in Mo) then those aint hackberry leaves. But then pics can be deceptive. Here hack leaves are purty large and much lighter in color and very ovate... The pic posted are very slender and very dark, imo

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 11:45:03 pm »
The hackberry I'm familiar with has thick corky warts all over the trunk.    It is hard to ID trees just from a few blurry pics. A better pic of the bark would help.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline okie64

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 11:50:54 pm »
It is hackberry, 99.9 percent sure. Hackberry bark can vary from fairly smooth to extremely warty and  everywhere in between but those leaves are a dead ringer fir hackberry. We have hackberry and sugarberry here in Oklahoma, the wood is identical but the leaves of sugarberry have smooth margins instead of toothed.