Author Topic: Bow on a Hot Tin Roof  (Read 6685 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
Re: Bow on a Hot Tin Roof
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 10:13:59 am »
Thanks guys! This is easily the most challenging bow i have done, I took my time and didn't rush anything. It's amazing what an incredible tool patience is!

Randman, the wrap is where a check was nearly running off the limb, i felt better wrapping it, even though it survived through tillering with no wrap.
45# at 27"

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 08:30:19 pm »
Great work Gopher, a really cool bow. This is one of the things that attracted me to self bows, the fact that you can take a weathered piece of osage and get it to bend into a functional bow and hunt with it. I started my journey  with selfbows by working with 65yr old fence post of osage.
You made a thing of beauty outta that piece man.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 08:45:36 pm »
Nicely done!  You handled the character well.  The only thing I would suggest is to keep an eye on that knot that runs 3/4 of the way across the belly in pic 5.  If that starts crushing out, it will fold up like a cheap suit.   Unless of course the actual knot is gone and that is just where the grain curled around it.  That being the case, it should be fine.  Sure is pretty!  Josh

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 09:39:30 am »
Yeah, that spot has been on my radar from the start, there is also an area of swirly grain just above the handle that I will continue to watch. both of these areas had several treatments of superglue during the build, fingers crossed!
45# at 27"

Offline rps3

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 06:38:57 pm »
Looks cool, hope it lasts many shots for you.

I second patience being a great tool, I seem to set it down and lose it now and then.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 09:54:35 pm »
Nicely done!  You handled the character well.  The only thing I would suggest is to keep an eye on that knot that runs 3/4 of the way across the belly in pic 5.  If that starts crushing out, it will fold up like a cheap suit.   Unless of course the actual knot is gone and that is just where the grain curled around it.  That being the case, it should be fine.  Sure is pretty!  Josh

That curly grain is sure eyecatching...must be a pleasure to keep your eye on it.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 10:10:33 pm »
Looks cool, hope it lasts many shots for you.

I second patience being a great tool, I seem to set it down and lose it now and then.

Haha, sometimes i don't just set it down i loose it in a pile of shavings, only to be found when the frustration of another broken bow forces me to sweep the garage!
45# at 27"

Offline BryBow

• With enough thrust, Pigs fly just fine.
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 10:50:58 am »
Very nice bow.
Bryan
When you shoot an arrow of truth dip it in honey.