Author Topic: All yew heartwood bow  (Read 6075 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
All yew heartwood bow
« on: August 14, 2013, 11:18:40 am »
I have set of primo yew billets that are all heartwood, thanks to my friend Steve. Ive asked a few experts their opinion on them as a self bow. Im curious if anybody else has tried it and what they found out.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: All yew heartwood bow
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 11:32:24 am »
I dont have much experience with all heartwood yew bows.  I have a lightweight target bow just about finished up that is all heartwood backed with salmon skins.  Not a very stressed design, but it it shoots nice, no sign of problems. 

I have seen several old yew bows that were all heartwood and they looked pretty stout too.  The Kalapuya made some all heartwood bows that were short, wide-limbed recurves.

I imagine you can get away with a bit more with the tight-grained stuff than the course stuff.  Lets here more about this wood.  Pics? 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 11:34:00 am »
Back it with rawhide. Or do you want to leave it as a heartwood selfbow?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 11:39:59 am »
The billets are quite old, very, very tight ringed and clean. I would prefer to not add anything to the back, maybe skins if anything at all. I will get the backs down to a clean ring if it takes me two weeks with sandpaper.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 11:49:25 am »
Do that sandpaper ring chasing in an area with a good cross-breeze, otherwise, you might want to wear a dust mask.  Just to be safe. 

The old-time yew heartwood bows I saw, did not have a single ring chased.  They were made pretty evenly flat and smooth.  Appeared the backs were highly burnished.  Not saying you shouldn't dedicate two weeks to ring chasing, just wanted to give you an idea of what can be done with a piece of yew heartwood.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:01:05 pm by Carson (CMB) »
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 12:05:11 pm »
Carson I was talking with Steve (Yewbowyer) about these. He has made a few yew bows...hahahaha. He told me his personal favorite bow was an all yew heartwood long bow. It finally broke on him, but he figured he had 8-10,000 shots through her and about 8-10 years of life. He said without sapwood it reacted even faster upon release and was an absolute joy to shoot as a result. I think Im drinking that kool aid.

Offline Roy

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 12:07:02 pm »
Thought you were done with yew bows? ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 12:11:23 pm »
Done.............with my last one ol' fart!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 12:12:05 pm »
Hey PD,

Is this the Beginning of a Build Along?
If it is Sign Me Up!

Still have to wait on the Right Piece Of Yew to try this myself.
As I Ain't inclined to skin nary a piece of the Yew I currently have.  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 12:17:13 pm »
Sounds like ya got some good BTU's  8)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 12:21:32 pm »
No build alongs Gus, too much work. I might post it when and if I get it done.

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 12:59:24 pm »
There was a bowyer here in England, it might have been Chris Boyton, who made a yew heartwood only bow on a Ray Mears tv programme. He was worried about it blowing all throught tillering.....but it didn't  :)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 01:15:18 pm »
I hear ya PD...

No Worries Mi Amigo... I would like to see it when she's done.

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 01:20:10 pm »
Pearl
  If you decide to put skins on it  glue some silk on it first. Silk is one tough backing. Light and hardly noticeable. Dean

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 01:51:36 pm »
My first yew bow was all heartwood. Didn't chase a ring just cut it flat and made it bend.
Clatskanie, Oregon