Author Topic: DIY Nocking Point Pliers  (Read 13807 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: DIY Nocking Point Pliers
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 09:02:18 pm »
I don't use em either, but I appreciate the tip in the spirit that it was offered.  Thanks CD!  Josh

Offline Spitch

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 09:40:18 pm »
Now I have a quandary! Brass or bone knock points?  ;D
Use what you have

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 09:43:23 pm »
Now I have a quandary! Brass or bone knock points?  ;D

OHHH NoOoO
I like osage

Offline paul craig

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 10:05:36 pm »
An Internet check tells me that brass came into use about 1200 BC.  Do materials have to be older than this before they're considered trad enough?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 09:25:31 am »
What about the rubber in side them. >:D ;) :) I don't use the either but good tip for those that do. :) I with Del,I think they are ugly and also they hurt my index finger. :) to tight to buy the also. :o ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 10:11:34 am »
An Internet check tells me that brass came into use about 1200 BC.  Do materials have to be older than this before they're considered trad enough?
No one is try to be the trad police here.
I do appreciate the original post, the trouble taken to post it and the point that cheap pliers are soft steel which can be adapted to a multitude of purposes.
However if you really want an argument I'm happy to oblige.
There is no logic in your argument as the age of the material isn't the key factor.
It is the application of the material that matters.

Iron and stone are old materials, but would you consider balls of iron or lumps of stone fixed to the limb tips or tied to the string either a good idea or traditional?

I think the strength of this forum is that people are free to express varying opinions without being castigated for it. We all have different styles and preferences and should be free to express them (as long as it's not a love of fibreglass ;) )
As an example some people would be very much against the use of animal products like snake skins, they are free to voice this opinion while they accept that others will continue to use skins.
Del

Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 10:40:33 am »
I use either brass or thread for nocking points. I have made a bunch of bows in the past and always tune each one to the max before it goes to the new owner. Lots of shooting, breaking in and adjusting the brace height and nocking point for optimum performance. Brass nocking points shine during this process because they can be repositioned so quickly.

I have an old set of nocking point pliers with at least 30 years of service behind them so it is unlikely I will need another pair. If I do I will take your neat idea to heart and make me a new set, I like making useful things.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 10:47:59 am »
We each draw our own lines in the primitive sand. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline okie64

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 11:22:47 am »
I do use them sometimes but I use a rock to beat on it till it is crimped tight on the string. This gives them a more primitive look and  feel ;D ;D 

owlbait

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 12:28:07 pm »
 :) Thanks for the tip cd!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 12:51:07 pm »
We each draw our own lines in the primitive sand. Jawge
+1 ... (hopefully we draw'em with a stick ;) )
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline autologus

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 01:06:27 pm »
No one is try to be the trad police here.
I do appreciate the original post, the trouble taken to post it and the point that cheap pliers are soft steel which can be adapted to a multitude of purposes.
However if you really want an argument I'm happy to oblige.
There is no logic in your argument as the age of the material isn't the key factor.
It is the application of the material that matters.

Iron and stone are old materials, but would you consider balls of iron or lumps of stone fixed to the limb tips or tied to the string either a good idea or traditional?

I think the strength of this forum is that people are free to express varying opinions without being castigated for it. We all have different styles and preferences and should be free to express them (as long as it's not a love of fibreglass ;) )
As an example some people would be very much against the use of animal products like snake skins, they are free to voice this opinion while they accept that others will continue to use skins.
Del

Well it is better to be castigated for your opinion than castrated though.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Roy

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 05:19:28 pm »
I might start using them, but I'll back them with sinew:)

Offline dwardo

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 06:22:16 am »
Cool idea. I find getting the things off to move them harder than geting them on in the first place.
I have a cheapo pair of pliers made from shmetal n chocolate so they are a perfect candidate.

Offline dbb

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 12:12:34 pm »
Got a bag full of brassnocks when i bought an old hoyt gm some years ago.
I use them to finetune the nockingpoint.
If you crimp them on very lightly you can twist them up or down the serving like they are threaded and still stay when shooting.
After im done i change them for spectra fishingline tho.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...