Author Topic: staves for trade  (Read 3096 times)

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
staves for trade
« on: August 14, 2013, 09:57:09 am »
I am new to PA forum and don't really know all the rules or how it all works so forgive me if I make a fool of myself. I have a shed full of shagbark hickory, red oak, sugar maple, honey locust and wild cherry. I seem to have a want for wood that my bow skills cant keep up with. all of it is split into extra large staves from last years cutting bananza ( I swear its like an addiction). I am looking to trade these staves for others I cannot get easily in my woods here in central NY. I will also take finished bows, knapped hunting points (obsidian is my favorite), good sized and good condition buckskins, and I am willing to hear other offers. I am not sure how to send these large staves so info is greatly appreciated on the subject.

Thanks
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
Re: staves for trade
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 10:07:41 am »
Just read a bit about peoples expectations for trade posts, sorry If I did not post enough info. ask any questions you may have and I will do my best to answer them. all the staves are approx. 68" to 78" in length and 2" to 5" in width. they are all a bit rough, I just hand cut trees down with bow saw and ax then spilt them with wedges and left them in my shed. hope this is enough info to help everyone out.

Thank you, John
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 11:51:48 am »
Look at my post under the names staves wanted started by wb99. It has a list of stuff I would trade u. I'm interested in the locust and the hickory. Are they dry? Are the growth rings bigger or as big as 1/16"? How deep are they? Just send me a pm or post on my ad. Thanks

Easton
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 09:22:07 pm »
Hello Neo,

Welcome aboard.

We Love Photos here on PA.
If you could post some photos of some of the staves you are offering you may have better results.

Also with stave photos, a full length shot along with shots of the end grain would go a long way to getting you some trades going.

Regards,

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 09:43:23 pm »
photos are a must...
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 10:59:35 pm »
I will try to post some pictures tomorrow if I am able

Offline johnfolchetti

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 01:58:42 pm »
NM....where are you in central NYS?

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 03:46:18 pm »
Ok so i went through my shed and due to a very wet summer and my lack of bow seasoning skill and knowledge I have some moldy wood. I will be going through all of it and posting pics as I find good wood. also all of the staves have bark on them and it seems better to show it with the bark off. I will be de barking and sorting for a bit l. sorry for he rookie mistaes here guys, my bad.

to johnfolchetti... I live in the Ithaca area, are you around here as well?

Offline Gus

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 07:10:55 pm »
As you debark your staves I would recommend Sealing the Back as soon as you get the bark off.
Better safe than sorry.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 10:12:25 pm »
Ill trade a red oak bow #55@28, can be pulled to 32" for a couple of shagbark staves ;)
i can make another one(got 3 made right now) if you don't like the weight.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline johnfolchetti

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 07:31:44 am »
NM: I'm in Patterson....Putnam County

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 10:06:40 am »
Thanks gus, I painted the ends of all the staves to seal them as I cut and split them. so now I have a bunch of uneven ended, fat, painted staves... learning is not easy for the ill informed. its mostly white and brown paint (what I had) that makes it hard to see the growth rings. I am going out to get poly spray for the simple fact you can see the wood! most of the mold I found was on wood in the back that was contacting the floor of the shed, and does not seem to go deeper than the top few rings of sap wood. again sorry for posting I had staves without checking it all, and misspelling a lot on the last post!

This weekend I will try to get more poly spray and work my butt off on this wood. I am privileged to live in an area full of good trees and I realize not everyone is lucky enough to have this kind of surrounding. So I shall do my best to get this wood up to par with what everyone expects.

Thanks, John

Offline Gus

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 01:11:44 pm »
I hear ya Neo...

I've used paint before in a pinch.
But as I started getting out to cut more I decided to pick up a Gallon of Bulk Tight Bond II.
It dries pretty much clear and is Mostly waterproof.
One gallon lasted me about 18 months.

After all the work of cutting Beautiful Wood, transporting it home and getting it split and cleaned up it rubs me Wrong to loose any to bugs or bad prep work on my part.
I say this, Stiff and Sore as hell from working my way through a recent load of Osage cut two weeks ago...  :)

Also you can re-trim the ends to get to some clean end grain then reseal it...
I'm sure I'm preaching to the Choir here.
I know that would mean more work for you...   ::)

Looking forward to seeing what you have.
Regards,

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline knapperboy

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 12:25:38 am »
Hey there, my dad and I started a trad only 4H club here in Northwestern Colorado and we need some wood! I am  flintknapper and make much of my work out of obsidian, and stone found near us. We would be interested in trades to benefit our club.