Author Topic: Little locust plinker bow  (Read 3993 times)

Offline richpierce

Little locust plinker bow
« on: November 26, 2007, 04:03:27 pm »
I am new at bowmaking and primitive archery in general.  I have been working on a few bows and the first one is at the shooting stage.  This locust stave was a left-over split, narrow and full of defects.  It has a big knot in the middle of one limb, a chunk torn out of the side of another limb when splitting, close to the handle.  I had to work it down to quite thin to resolve the knot in the limb, so I piked (shortened) the bow and got it to about 26 pounds at 24" draw and gave it to my wife.  It's not perfectly tillered (the picture makes it look worse than it is as I have the stick holding it at draw, not on center) but it's a whippy little bow, pretty fast for the pull weight, shooting shafts made of goldenrod stalks.  It should be a fun plinking bow I may borrow to plunk squirrels and rabbits.  It's super light.  Mainly this one is giving me confidence I can make a shootable bow. The tiller is pretty far off (one limb has a hinge started and the other is stiffer) but I hesitate to work it more, afraid to make it even lighter draw weight. It was a quicky bow.  Once I saw how bad the knot was on the belly I just went for it to see if I could remove the huge lump.  It went from rough-shaped stave to shooter in about 6 hours.  I am going much more slowly on the other 4 bows I have in progress (long ash, a black locust, a hickory and an osage orange).

I was amazed how well it bends with dry heat when the wood is thin.  I'll get some better pix; these were in a hurry before work and not well focused and too contrasty.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 04:10:10 pm by richpierce »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Little locust plinker bow
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 05:39:53 pm »
Cool little bow. You sure have the right attitude for wood bow building. Keep up the good work.
  Welcome aboard, Rich!     Pat     
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 07:00:40 pm »
Keep it up dude. I love taking a less desireable piece and making a shooter.
Don't lose that attitude.
I always think my stuff sucks.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 07:04:06 pm »
They don't have to be perfect, in fact I'm not sure thier is a perfect bow. As long as your having fun
thats what matters most to me. Nice little bow, keep em coming.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 07:11:15 pm »
You don't even want to see my first bow. Yours is 100% better than mine
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 10:57:55 pm »
Good job! That knot couldn't be in a worse place. I try to leave at least a 1/4" of wood around knots like that.
Got your bow bookmarked for Nov Bow of the Month so we'll get to enjoy it again  this weekend.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 01:05:41 pm »
an excellent first effort!  by the way, the flints you sent me work great.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy