Author Topic: Video on arrow variances  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Video on arrow variances
« on: August 13, 2013, 08:48:45 pm »
I did a video on shooting arrows of severe weight variances and shooting different grain points to show how at hunting distances they all hit the same, no height difference.  It also shows how a switching to lighter weight stone points wont mess anything up as log as you lighten the spine a tad.  Lots of folks are stuck on shooting 125 gr field points and are scared to try anything lighter so hopefully this will show some of you that it is no big deal at all.  thanks for looking. and subscribe to my channel if you would like to.  thanks- Ryan  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZJgcmHXY0Y
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Video on arrow variances
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 10:51:24 pm »
Is it possible that since you're an instinct shooter that you instinctively account for the weight difference?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 11:05:53 pm »
nope. even with "instinctive" shooting there has to be some sort of subconscious association between arrow tip and target. I can visually auto correct for different length arrows, but there is no visual cues to compensate for arrow weights. I utilize a certain amount of "gap shooting" at long distances now, which made me realize that even if you are not paying attention to the arrow tip, it's still there and your brain registers it.  My friend donnie shoots the same way and same story with him... varying weights, no big deal at 20 and under ranges. right around 20 I start noticing those heaviest ones taking a nose dive due to weight and I have to visually correct in order to stay on target. but around 18y and under, it's all flat enough that I cannot distinguish between heavy and light arrows, especially if they are the same length.  It would all be relative to the power your bow has too.  Obviously a 40# bow would not carry the energy to shoot flat past 12-15 yards give or take. where a 60# may shoot flat til 25 yards or so.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 02:23:30 pm »
Enjoyed it! dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 01:49:18 am »
I enjoyed it.  I agree with you on overall mass not affecting much inside of 20.  I can shoot arrows ranging from 500-800 grns out of the same bow inside 20 yrds, but as soon as I start moving beyond that, the heavy arrows start getting heavy! 

One thing to keep in mind about point weight though is that if you start affecting dynamic spine, you might be able to hit where you are looking at 12 yards, but has the arrow recovered and straightened out?  If your arrows are coming in at angles, lots of penetration power is lost.  Some bows are sensitive to arrow spine while others, such as closer to center shot bows, will accept a wide range of spines.  Not trying to pick a fight.  Your arrows looked to be hitting straight on, but just something to consider. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 09:37:20 am »
yeah I agree with you on changing the spine. The point that I didn't stress in the video was that the arrows with lighter points were lighter spined than points with heavy spined arrows. So basically instead of side lining arrows because the are not that same spine, I compensate by assigning point weights in order to achieve the spine dynamic I am looking for.  But yes sir I am right there with you, if your arrows are not flying perfectly straight you'll be in for a heap of trouble
Formerly "twistedlimbs"

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 08:26:30 pm »
Howard Hill did this same experiment...and came to the same conclusion.  The arrows he used had a 100 grain variance....at hunting distances....no change in point of impact.
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying