Author Topic: Grass carp prep  (Read 1404 times)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Grass carp prep
« on: August 13, 2013, 01:19:27 pm »
Buddy just pulled a 3', 30# grass carp outa my lake.. We fillet it and pinned it to a board. Do i need to salt them? Gonna use em to skin a bow or 2.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Grass carp prep
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 01:23:37 pm »
I don't think you need to salt them. Make sure they are scraped good though. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 01:41:05 pm »
If the scales are bigger than say a dime, your in for some fun. Big fish with big scales are hard to get laid down and kept down, and smooth. 12-15" fish are best in my opinion. Let them air dry between layers of paper towel, it will soak up some oils.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 01:42:50 pm »
Do not salt them. Scrape them well then wash with warm(not hot) water and dawn dish soap and tack them out to dry.  unless you are ready to use them now. In that case glue them down.
  I think Tim Ott did a "How To" on fish skins a few years ago. Do a search.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 02:21:32 pm »
I remember Tim doin that... Im so far inda sticks the only internet i get is this dang phone and it aint great for searchin anything, lol.... My grass carp evidently didnt get sterilized like there sposed to before sale. In 6 yrs ive gone from 2 grasscarp to over 20 visable at any given time. Theres a bunch of them inda 5# range and a coupla huge ones... well now theres only one huge one, lol... The scales on this one are wider than some of my bows, lol. I wonder if i can remove the scales before i skin the bow?
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

blackhawk

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 02:51:43 pm »
Sounds like ya need to invite some of us over to your pond for some carp bow fishing to help you with your problem  :laugh:

Offline wildman

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 05:38:43 pm »
This came out of my friends pond. His kids thought it was a shark.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 05:47:25 pm »
Now that's a big slob! I love slob fishing

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 05:51:14 pm »
Nice one wildman! C'mon up Blackhawk...you can help me with the glue-up  ;)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 05:54:24 pm »
And if the carp aint rollin theres 12-13" crappie that aint met a jig they dont like yet...

Offline seabass

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 06:21:37 pm »
Tim Ott doesn't dry them,he just rolls them up and freezes until ready to use.i have one of his carp skinned bows.when you are ready to use the skin.first thaw it out,use a very soft brush and scrub with dawn and warm water.then dry with paper towels.try to blot dry instead of rubbing.the skin is very fragile and will tear.he claims that the best size fish for narrow selfbows is 18 pounds.that size will give you the right size pattern.hope this helps.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 06:30:59 pm »
Thanks Seabass!

Offline seabass

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 11:13:27 pm »
no problem buddy.good luck.sending you a pm brother.
Middletown,Ohio