Author Topic: Shovel handles  (Read 3717 times)

Don Case

Shovel handles
« on: August 12, 2013, 08:55:50 pm »
Are shovel handles usable? I think they are ash or hickory. You would probably have to sort through them a bit to get one with straight grain.

Offline Weylin

Re: Shovel handles
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:05:02 pm »
I've seen bow's made from shovel handles before. I'd go for the hickory if you can and like you said, look for perfect grain.

Offline autologus

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 09:17:54 pm »
I have made a bow from a wheel barrow handle it was quarter sawn Ash.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 09:21:00 pm »
Its not really worth the price imo unless you just wanna see if ya can. ;) if you have a Menards close by they carry hickory in store. I buy 1"x 2"x 6' edge grain for $5.99... I will prolly never cut hickory for bows again, lol. The trade bow i gave keenan a couple years ago was a Menards hickory board. It was cut well enuff i chased a ring. ;)... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline bow101

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:55:29 pm »
You mite be better off going to Windsor Plywood and finding something suitable.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Don Case

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 11:46:47 pm »
Good point.

Offline MountainCoveArcher

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 06:34:23 pm »
I have made kids bows out of these.  Straight grain wheel barrel handles make a good 40lb bow.  Finding a good one is the hard part.  Followed the growth ring.  Shoots very well. I am sure if you backed it with sinew you could get a 50lb out it.  The wood was Ash.  The length on these handles are 60 inches.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 06:47:17 pm »
I love windsor plywood,it's the menards of the north but it's pricey
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 07:36:21 pm »
+2 on the wheelbarrow handles, I was looking at some at the local hardware store the other day. I found one that was Hickory that had perfect grain orientation that could have actually had a ring chased on it. I have plenty wood so I passed on it but this might be worth looking into for the poor guys who live in bow wood deserts 

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 02:23:56 am »
Dont ignore the hickory/pecan axe handles. They make great bows. I have made 3 bows of them and plan on many more. You can do a take down or a slice job.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 03:47:02 am »
Problem is you are limited by the width and hickory boards are way cheaper for the amount of wood you get and you don't have to bother with a splice - one piece or spliced for no reason....I know what i'd go for!

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 03:57:43 am »
I agree on the splice or no splice option Mike, because it can be aggrivating to make one. But I would like to know what your hickory cost you in board form. For me it is 50 + for a bow sized board.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 08:32:23 am »
I agree on the splice or no splice option Mike, because it can be aggrivating to make one. But I would like to know what your hickory cost you in board form. For me it is 50 + for a bow sized board.

That seems quite high. I bought a huge chunk of hickory that was approximately 8'x6"x2" for like forty bucks a couple years ago. Several potential bows in that one.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 11:46:47 am »
Sounds like i need to go in biz sellin hickory boards... Wow thats high! If yall got Amish close check them out... I got enuff ash and hickory from them to get 12  2" wide 6' long bow blanks(high quality) for less than $60... You might also be able to order from Menards web sight if ya aint got one close. They carry in store a wide variety of hardwoods... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....