Author Topic: Some input please  (Read 3950 times)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Some input please
« on: August 12, 2013, 07:15:40 pm »
Been lookin for stuff I can do on the porch while my knees healin up.... I dug up some old projects to tinker with.. Got some laminations to glue up... I have an ERC board roughed out about 3/8 thick with a 3/4 " handle section and 62" long. My question is this, I have an 1/8" ash or a 1/16" hickory backing strip. Wich one should I use? I know either will work, but wich ones better for ERC? ERC is mostly heartwood. Just gluing in a couple in. of reflex and goin for a basic eliptical tiller, 40-45 #'s @ 27". Not sure what to expect from ERC....and should i trap the back? Im personally thinkin the ash with a very rounded belly and slightly trapped back. Never used this combo before so im askin the experts....thanks folks... Brian                                                                 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:57:37 pm by koan »
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Some input please
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 07:35:48 pm »
Well, I'm not an expert, but cedar/hickory is a long-proven combo. I've never tried ash as a backing, but it would probably work too. It's not quite as bulletproof as hickory, though. I think if you're gonna use hickory, the 1/16" thin strip that you have would be the way to go with a lighter belly wood like cedar, and shouldn't need trapping.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 07:43:55 pm »
Makes sense steve. I hafta admit im leanin towards the ash mostly because its twice as thick as my hickory and I really have little to no faith in the ERC... Flat or rounded belly?
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 07:49:38 pm »
I've used Ash on Hop Hornbeam, but not on cedar. ERC, I've either left the sapwood on or backed it with bamboo or rawhide.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 07:54:18 pm »
I have used the ash to back more ash and to back red oak. The red oak/ ash combo worked great, i would definately do it again. I really dont get excited bout buildin laminates, but gluin stuff up is bout all i can do right now, lol.... Brian

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 07:57:29 pm »
I would think bamboo would be to strong for erc.... I think maybe im underestimating the erc.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 08:11:16 pm »
You are, ;) Bamboo is excellent with ERC.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 08:18:49 pm »
Eddie my piece has little to no sapwood and seems very porous

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 10:26:21 pm »
Ok... Im gonna use the hickory. Any ideas on belly profile? My only experience with ERC is carvin a boat paddle, lol( this piece is the other half of that) :laugh:

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 11:13:38 pm »
I've gone dead flat,to semi crowned wide,to elb bellies/cross sections with erc and all worked just fine...ya sure you a have enough thickness? 3/8" isn't much for erc(pending on density)...and like yew it will end up being thicker than the other woods(all else equal) ...might have to throw a core lam in there?

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 11:30:05 pm »
I was wonderin bout that myself. These were all scraps left from other projects.. They are 1 1/2" wide. Just measured erc thickness and its actually 5/16".. Blackhawk you are probably right. I have the ash or i have some really thin walnut, like 1/32-1/16"... I have young nephews & neices needin bows so a 20#er aint a bad thing either, lol. I cant get to the saw right now or i could make somethin more suitable... Hell, if i could use the saw I'd be workin on self bows, lol

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 02:42:26 am »
Well, I'm not an expert, but cedar/hickory is a long-proven combo. I've never tried ash as a backing, but it would probably work too. It's not quite as bulletproof as hickory, though. I think if you're gonna use hickory, the 1/16" thin strip that you have would be the way to go with a lighter belly wood like cedar, and shouldn't need trapping.
Yes it is - if the grain is good ash is virually unbreakable!

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 09:32:44 am »
I agree Mike, i have had great luck with it, just gotta keep in mind like hickory, the hotbox is your best freind during a build  ;).... I really dont know what to expect from the erc... I got enuff lams to do 2 glue ups and two 14 yr old twin nephews that been eye ballin my bows, lol. Gonna try and get em glued up today. Gonna aim for 35-40#'s. on Blackhawks reccomendation im gonna put a thin power lam of walnut just to make sure i got enuff wood... Brian

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 09:56:29 am »
That will be a sharp lookin' bow with the contrast between the cedar, walnut, and hickory, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 10:42:44 am »
Ya Steve, it oughta be purdy ;)... The other will be ash backed ash with a lil walnut inda middle. These boys only got a 24" draw and im gonna leave the bows at 60" so they will be barely stressed and give the twins some growin room ;).. This wll be my 3rd attempt at makin them bows... They keep out growin em as fast as i biuld em, lol