Author Topic: Got some Orange wood!  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
Got some Orange wood!
« on: August 12, 2013, 04:55:08 pm »
Hey yall wanted to share some wood i just got from the Florida swamp! I got a decent orange tree, there are some knots i am worried about but we will see how that works out in the future. my method of splitting trees int the past with a hammer and machete didn't work that well so I was thinking of using a circular saw to get a good straight cut down the center, what do you guys think would that mess with the natural split of the wood? if so I guess I need to pick up some wedges.

For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Got some Orange wood!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 05:42:17 pm »
Sweet dude!  Split it up!  Maybe we could get a reference of the diameter?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 08:14:32 pm »
Be carefull with the saw, it will kickback something awfull. That sour orange will twist and check real bad if you don't clamp it down and seal it good after splitting. I would seal the ends and let it dry some before I started splitting it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:11:01 pm »
There aren't a lot of orange trees here in the Pacific Northwest but I use a circular saw all the time on  squirrelly wood. Just draw a line the length of the stave and carefully saw down the line, flip it over and repeat on the opposite side. It is true it is dangerous, but hold on tight and you can do it!

Dale

"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline Barefoot_Jake

• "I don't regard nature as a spectator sport."
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 11:29:07 pm »
Thanks for the advice mullet and dmenzies Im gonna follow what you folks said. At Tim they are more oval shaped than circle so it ranges for the area you measure at from 3" to 2". Mullet you would say this is sour orange? I have no clue with IDing orange trees.
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11 KJV

Need any help with anything? I will gladly try to help you

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 11:35:56 pm »
Orange wood .... First time be heard of anyone using it I'm interested in seeing how it works as a bow
I like osage

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 12:43:38 am »
Mullet you would say this is sour orange? I have no clue with IDing orange trees.

Most citrus is basically the same species with a ton of different strains.  If you've got long straight pieces like that it's mostly likely from sour orange since they're only ones that can compete with native plants here in FL.  Also, taste the fruit.  It'll have a thick peel and not very juicy inside that is sour and full of seeds.

Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!