Author Topic: warbow tiller check  (Read 4314 times)

Offline AH

warbow tiller check
« on: July 16, 2013, 10:51:39 pm »
For the past while this bow has just been sitting in the corner, but today I decided to make some progress. I am currently at 24" on the tiller (in the picture it may be at 22" or so, the camera went off at the wrong moment) Any thoughts on the tiller? I don't want a repeat of Del's big warbow boom! ;D

at this point 4" is as high as Im going to get it braced, thanks to my dacron string. I think that it is stretching quite a lot, anyone have any idea how much the poundage will increase once I get a FF string?

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Re: warbow tiller check
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 11:21:56 pm »
it looks to me like the left midlimb is a tad stiff, and so is the handle... but thats just me.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline AH

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 11:26:03 pm »
there's a knot on the inner third midlimb of the left limb, forgot to mention.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 02:34:19 am »
Don't even touch the tips any more it looks like the only thing bending is the tips you need to focus on the mid limbs towards handle area
I like osage

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 03:51:26 am »
Poundage does not change with a dyneema string.

Offline AH

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 01:22:20 pm »
Don't even touch the tips any more it looks like the only thing bending is the tips you need to focus on the mid limbs towards handle area
This better? I just zoomed in. the left tip has a little kink in it that makes it look like it's bending a lot. to me it looks like my midlimbs are too stiff.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 01:27:42 pm »
Exactly mid limbs are too stiff
I like osage

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 03:15:35 pm »
looks a tad stiff by those knotty nobbles mid left limb, and mid limb in general.
Hard to tell until it's moving a bit more.
What weight are you putting on it?
If you want a 100# bow, you've got to get 100# on it pretty quick else you'll come in under (maybe not quite as quick as I did ;) )
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 07:30:09 pm »
The right limb looks pretty good, for the small amount it's bending. Your left limb is stiff, because you're not following the undulations in the sapwood. If the sapwood rises, the thickness of the belly wood must rise to match it.

Like Del said, if you want 100#, get on it early... as long as you have no major problems with the tiller (like a hinge).

Leave both tips alone.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 07:39:49 pm by adb »