Author Topic: bear grease  (Read 3052 times)

Offline bushboy

bear grease
« on: August 11, 2013, 08:04:24 pm »
I was gifted a jar of b/g and remember some one talking about sealing bows with the stuff ,just wondering how it's applied or is it mixed with something else?thx's
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: bear grease
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 09:04:53 pm »
Works fine just like it is. Just rub it in-several light coats and let it soak into the wood instead of heavy greasing all at once. Getting the bow warm first will help. With bear grease or any other animal fat, it's a good thing to hit it with more from time to time, especially if you're out in the weather hunting a lot. If it's rendered right, bear grease will be pretty much liquid at room temp, and like lard if you chill it in the fridge. It's good stuff. Workes great to waterproof leather boots also, and even makes good biscuits. A friend of mine was rendering some on his deck and spilled part of a pot-it beaded up water on that corner of the deck for years, long after the Thompson's water seal was gone on the rest of the deck.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 09:28:07 pm »
I set my bows and arrow shafts out in the sun for a while to warm them, that way I don't get them too warm and have to go back and fix something.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 12:09:38 am »
I've got a yew bow that has only hand rubbed bear grease for a finish. Hand rubbing heats up the wood(and your hand)  and that allows the bear grease to sink in.
  You can mix it with some bees wax and pitch and make a nice leather dressing like mink oil or Montana Pitch Blend...but with bear grease.
 I keep mine sealed in a Mason jar in the "other" frig and take out what I need when I need it. Its more than a year old by now and still good.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 12:51:37 am »
Thx's 4 the info guys!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 10:42:42 am »
I just finished the bow that I used for my Alberta bear hunt last May with bear grease. Warm the bow a little bit in the sun(if it's osage it will start to darken the bow) or I used the heater in my shop, be careful with the heater, you don't want to dry the wood out, just warm it up a bit, it helps the wood soak up the grease. then take some grease on your fingers and rub it in. then hang the bow from a string attached to the celing about a yard or so from heater for about a half hour, you dont want it to get hot, just keep it warm so the grease can soak in.Then take it down and wipe the excess of with a paper towel or cloth.When I applied the grease and when I wiped it clean I rubbed it vigorously trying to push as much grease as possible in to the pores of the wood. I did this several times to give the bow several coats. water beads up nicely on the bow.Keep the grease in your fridge and apply as needed afterwards.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline wildman

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 12:10:06 pm »
I use it on my flintlocks also.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-