Author Topic: Any one ever been asked this ?  (Read 5413 times)

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: Any one ever been asked this ?
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 08:40:32 pm »
know what i say? "BECAUSE WHEN THE ZOMBIE ACOPALYPSE COMES THERE AINT GONNA BE STORES" 
Thier response " ._.  ............good point"

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 09:04:43 pm »
Lol... Im using that one Bowman
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 09:27:52 pm »
For me, I would just say because I like the challenge of doing things from scratch rather than taking the easy route where there is no sense of accomplishment or artistry. People understand doing things for yourself. You could just say "It's my hobby." You have to interpret sometimes. Most people think building a bow is really cool.

FWIW....I'm a knapper and when I do public demos people often ask, "Are you part Indian?" I don't look anywhere near that, but I reply, "No, but I get this skill from my ancestors."  They look puzzled. Then I add, "They were called cavemen."

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 10:59:59 pm »
I say I might be a kid but I don't need training wheels ;)

Or its more useful...
and one HECK of a lot cheaper :)
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 11:39:34 pm »
Because it takes persistance, hard work, skill, knowledge, and determination.  And I got those. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 12:49:05 am »
You da man J-Dub!  Testify! :)

Offline Weylin

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 02:49:23 am »
Ive been Flat out told,

"You cant Kill anything with that"

I love it when somebody who knows nothin about somethin,has all the answers.

Ask that person how many animals he thinks have been killed by fiberglass/compound bows in the history of mankind and then after he comes up with a guess for that ask him how many animals he thinks have been killed by wooden bows in the history of mankind. That should shut him up.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 03:19:02 pm »
Lol... Im using that one Bowman

lol no one ever has a come back for that one.

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 03:54:14 pm »
Hahhaa all the replys to the question are things i have sed before
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 09:58:30 pm »
I can understand what they are saying from a theoretical point of view. Not everybody is hardwired to be a builder. Not everyone enjoys making or creating. Going out and chopping down a tree, lugging it out of the woods, debarking, drying, splitting, shaping and tillering are all hard work, and not a type of work that everyone enjoys. Putting dozens of hours into a set of archery tackle when you could go buy a technically superior product in an afternoon just sounds foolish to some, and who knows, maybe we are all crazy.

There are plenty of things that other people do, and that are very important to other people that I just don't get. Be it religion, RV's, or the Kardashians, there are some things that just don't make any sense to me. But if that's what you love, and that's what makes you feel satisfied, then more power to ya. I'll be in my shop making shavings.

Offline unkieford

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2013, 10:49:23 pm »
I've been dealing with variations of that same question concerning rock climbing, sailing (as opposed to motorboating), archery, and starting my grill with flint and steel. Why? Because I want to. Because it amuses me. Because I CAN (and the unspoken other half) and you can't.   Not that it's a snobby thing, I'm always happy to teach anyone anything I know, if they want to learn.... and I'm willing to learn from anyone else who has something to teach.
Don't get me started on how many people have asked 'How much to make a dozen arrows?'  ;D

---Ford---

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 12:49:50 pm »
because "America" is a disposable society and it is always easier to buy something new than to repair something old or used. I am a tinkerer and don't have enough time to do the things I like , want, need to do.

Offline Spitch

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 10:10:34 pm »
No, I haven't been asked that yet.... I have gotten, "You can't go hunting in moccasins!! That's dangerous!"
Use what you have

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 10:19:17 pm »
Of course all our ancestors died of starvation waiting for wheels to be attached to their bows. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2013, 10:47:01 pm »
Of course all our ancestors died of starvation waiting for wheels to be attached to their bows.
Hahahahahahahaha  ;D
I like osage