Author Topic: Facebook stupidity  (Read 4681 times)

Offline 4dog

Re: Facebook stupidity
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 12:42:31 pm »
Actually my mother in law makes mesquite jelly from the beans ,, it doesnt last long in my house...its AWESOME!!!
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 12:48:46 am »

There was a story on the History channel, that told of a stage coach robbery, or actually, they were all killed, and the horses, and anything of value was taken.  When it was found, they were not sure that it was Apache's, till they...... uh,.... found some Apache....... uh scat :o ::), where they had hidden before the coach arrived, and in it were mesquite beans. :o

Wayne

Offline Marks

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 10:45:55 am »

There was a story on the History channel, that told of a stage coach robbery, or actually, they were all killed, and the horses, and anything of value was taken.  When it was found, they were not sure that it was Apache's, till they...... uh,.... found some Apache....... uh scat :o ::), where they had hidden before the coach arrived, and in it were mesquite beans. :o

Wayne

They left a "scent trail"

Offline Dalton Knapper

Spread of Mesquites
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 01:40:22 pm »
Many believe that though Mesquite may have been on the southern plains practically forever, it was the cattle drives out of Mexico and Texas that greatly spread the Mesquite. Ranchers and the cattle industry in general also affected the spread or rather density because a cow will eat mesquite beans when grass is scarce. How does the spread of a tree species and cattle drives relate? Well, the Mesquite seed has a very hard outer shell that requires "scarification"  - abrasion of the outer shell for it to germinate. The digestive system of a cow (or other things that eat the bean) breaks down the seeds hard outer shell and allows it to germinate. Of course other animals could ingest mesquite beans as well and that could account for their gradual spread. I am simply saying that the cattle drives, which were extensive, greatly spread the tree from south Texas to a lot of other areas.

This is probably why the woman said what she said, but she overstated it and was wrong. I am sure the buffalo also played a role in the spread of the tree.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 03:06:55 pm »
Just like trying to tell a northern college geek that Palm trees are not native to NW Florida.They only know what those books teach them,and not much common sense in there. :)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 09:07:04 pm »
as seen on a Face Book post "Common sense is so rare it ought to be considered a superpower!"

Offline darwin

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 11:29:25 am »
I've had people try to convince me that fire ants are a native species to Texas, some people are always willing to share their uninformed opinions and in general the less informed they are the more belligerent they seem to get

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 11:48:59 am »
I've had people try to convince me that fire ants are a native species to Texas, some people are always willing to share their uninformed opinions and in general the less informed they are the more belligerent they seem to get

A fire ant is not one species.  There are a couple hundred different species of fire ants some of which live in the US natively.  It's this feller that's from South American and is invasive:  Solenopsis invicta.  You were likely talking about different ants
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 02:45:56 pm »
Knowledge is power and a little bit of knowledge is dangerous!

Offline darwin

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 03:39:43 pm »
perhaps we were talking about different ants but i'm guessing that this person just didn't know what they were talking about, either way it wasn't worth arguing about, so i just let it go

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 11:21:46 pm »
Knowledge is power and a little bit of knowledge is dangerous!

...and I'm a KILLA!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2013, 02:56:23 am »
We all say things that turn out not to be correct - that doesn't mean we're stupid, just human...
Gordon

Offline sleek

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2013, 03:05:12 am »
Gordon, this is true, but we ( mostly ) arent so agressive about it. She was just being a plain B****.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others