Author Topic: S**t happens!!  (Read 10917 times)

Offline bow101

Re: S**t happens!!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 09:20:26 pm »
If i do glue on a belly lam, the glueline could always fail when im shooting, and in my head i don't like tha

If glued right it should not de-laminate. The glue is tougher than the wood itself.  I have even glued pieces together having one chunk that was end grain to face grain and held nicely.

Split that Hawthorn today it was a bit of a challenge especially when I'm using a skill saw.  Made it most of the way, finally split it with the hatchet.  The Hawthorn was cut March 4th.  Still a little damp inside so I sealed it right louie and put it in the garage. All in all the staves look great no pin worms or bugs.
I just hope I get 1 bow from the 2 chunks.......... ;)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 09:06:27 pm »
I'll wait on what to do with this one. I have another one going that's performing just as good. Good luck with that hawthorn, nice job getting it spit  :o
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

mikekeswick

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 03:01:19 am »
Complete waste of time gluing on a thin lam. Tb needs flawless mating surfaces.......Your best bet would be to fill the hole with fine sawdust and add some superglue. Packing it down as you go. Or simply put it down to experience. Also never sand uphill into the feathered ends of growth rings....as you now know.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 03:46:31 am »
Complete waste of time gluing on a thin lam. Tb needs flawless mating surfaces.......Your best bet would be to fill the hole with fine sawdust and add some superglue. Packing it down as you go. Or simply put it down to experience. Also never sand uphill into the feathered ends of growth rings....as you now know.

Tite bond needs a flawless mating surface ?? My first tip overlays were put on with tite Bond 2 plain HORRIBLE glue line yet the overlays are still on that bow and the tite bond has not failed after easily over 1000 shots put through that crappy bow So I'm gonna have to disagree on that
I like osage

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 04:32:42 am »

Tite bond needs a flawless mating surface ?? My first tip overlays were put on with tite Bond 2 plain HORRIBLE glue line yet the overlays are still on that bow and the tite bond has not failed after easily over 1000 shots put through that crappy bow So I'm gonna have to disagree on that

do you just like to argue, a bad glue line doesn't mean it won't hold, your like the contrary man in "little big mam", somebody says one thing and you say another, crappy glue lines on a crappy bow just means crappy craftsmanship, I wouldn't be bragging about it, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2013, 04:42:23 am »

do you just like to argue, a bad glue line doesn't mean it won't hold, your like the contrary man in "little big mam", somebody says one thing and you say another, crappy glue lines on a crappy bow just means crappy craftsmanship, I wouldn't be bragging about it, bub

Oh  :-\  ok ... Not bragging just pointing out anyways I'll avoid commenting from now on to please everyone
I like osage

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 08:36:09 am »
We all have built anomalies that break major rules and yet still work somehow, however the odds are heavily against us all the same. Mike is correct. A crap glue line will come apart 95% of the time. One personal example isn't adequate to shut his comment down so quickly. Im betting Mikes answer is derived from various types of de-lam's over the years of building bows. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 11:37:51 am »
+1 Pearlie...we have all gotten away with somethin that shouldnt work.. Try whatever ya think might work... If it dont pan out let it be your teacher... Experimentation is how primitive archery was Re-discovered...not all that long ago.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Don Case

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 12:01:58 pm »
I'm new but I'll take a shot. From what I've read I would think that the tips are one of the least stressed areas. Gluing tips on could be accomplished with a poor joint. The glue joint is in compression. Gluing a splint on probably puts the joint in shear, a much more critical joint.
Don

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 12:06:59 pm »
Don the overlays are highly stressed and require a great fit with great glue to withstand lots of shooting. The string loop is continuously trying to "pull" that overlay inward.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Don Case

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 12:15:59 pm »
Ah, yes. I was thinking about when the bow was drawn, the stress would be pressing the parts together. But you're right, there would be a strong force trying to slide the tip down the bow. That would put the joint in shear all the time. Oh well, back on my head.
Don

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2013, 06:51:45 pm »
You don't have to abandon power tools.  You just learned a lesson on how to use them properly :)  Don't stick the tip into the rotation of the belt and you'll be fine  ;)

Offline DLH

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2013, 07:05:52 pm »
Don the overlays are highly stressed and require a great fit with great glue to withstand lots of shooting. The string loop is continuously trying to "pull" that overlay inward.

When over lays are cut at an angle through the growth rings does that impart more or less stress on the overlays? Or is that neglebible and just done for looks?

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 09:03:44 pm »
Well like i said i'm putting it down for now 'cuz i don't want a #1 bow that isn't 100% dependable. I could get away with a heat-treatment and retiller to keep it simple if i wanted to.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline bow101

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 09:54:14 pm »
I hear Ya..!  Just broke number 7 ,,was setting them up and went to un-brace it and the last 6" broke off.
Was unbracing the push pull method.. :o
Why.......? because it was to stiff in the fades.  At any rate I may be able to pike it @ 56"  See what prevails..
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell