Author Topic: S**t happens!!  (Read 10910 times)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
S**t happens!!
« on: August 09, 2013, 06:37:31 pm »
K so this morning i shaped the other overlay for my new elm bow and i was sanding it down with a little belt sander. As i was sanding the belly of the tip, a tiny little splinter was caught and ripped off a good 5-6 inches of wood about 1/2" deep. Needless to say i was pissed. Worst time for a damn tearout ever!!   >:( I took some chisels and smoothed the groove out a bit. The tiller didn't look to be too effected so i strung it up, it's just a little whip ended and i could fix that if i wanted to. I guess the good news is that the overlays work ::). But i'm not confident in the bow anymore. I'll try laminating a piece of wood onto the belly, I guess i'm feeling ambitious after seeing Simon's work  >:D. Would normal tightbond wood glue be fine for the job? I'll upload pics.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Joec123able

Re: S**t happens!!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 06:53:35 pm »
Thats power tools for ya I'm glad I don't have any because I'd be screwing up a lot of bows lmao  >:D
I like osage

Offline Zion

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 06:58:45 pm »
Ikr! I doubt this would have happened with any other wood then elm cuz its so stringy, but i think i'm gonna stop using any powertools lol, i think they have bad karma....  ::)

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 07:02:47 pm »
Plumbers sand cloth works amazing for bow finishing ,tips,etc !it's 2" wide and comes in a roll.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Zion

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 07:38:11 pm »
i'll see if my ACE as some, lol i seem to have trouble getting elm smooth.

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 07:56:19 pm »
Good luck with it "Zee"  hopefully you can pull it off, and not rite it off as another lousy stick... :o
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline dwardo

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 05:11:25 am »
Yew is another favourite of mine for pulling a splinter. Elm is also great at this.
I have to put my real cutting tools in another room when tillering and stick with the scraper.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 06:29:54 am »
I went through a power tool phase... thought I would save time and effort. Which I did, I ruined them very quickly and easily  :'(  All part of the learning process.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Hamish

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 08:38:11 am »
You might be able to get away with titebond, but it definitely wouldn't be my first choice. It doesn't dry to a rigid   glueline like urac or smooth on,  so titbond can lift at the edges(sometimes it doesn't).

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 08:40:12 am »
Man... That sux.. Just discovered the osage ive been workin got bout an 8 in wind shear crack in the same area as yours, be lucky to get a 30#er from it. Been thinkin bout gluin on a piece. Never done that on a belly but i spose it should work...
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 11:15:31 am »
Yew is another favourite of mine for pulling a splinter. Elm is also great at this.
I have to put my real cutting tools in another room when tillering and stick with the scraper.

Pulling splinters on yew??? Really??

Offline autologus

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 12:57:04 pm »
I shape my tips by hand with a file.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2013, 01:05:06 pm »
60 grit sandpaper on a block. never pulls splinters.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline randman

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 02:30:03 pm »
Unless that tip is bending way too much at that spot, I wouldn't even worry about it there on the belly. If it was on the back side I'd be more concerned.......... If you are too worried about you could always do like you're thinking - thin belly lam.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Zion

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 04:12:33 pm »
Idk guys. Just the fact that i was literally 10 seconds away from finishing a great shooter really pisses me off. I guess the thing i want for my #1 is total dependability. My current one is serviceberry with a rawhide grip. Simple as can be. If i do glue on a belly lam, the glueline could always fail when im shooting, and in my head i don't like that. I'm sure it'll still shoot, i just don't think it'll get much action. Time to start another i think.