Author Topic: Glue creep  (Read 2316 times)

Don Case

Glue creep
« on: August 08, 2013, 09:06:58 pm »
I glued an Ipe belly to my Ocean Spray bow and used Elmers Probond Max. Was that a mistake? I think the joint is creeping. When I bend the bow it takes a set. It has only been glued up for 24 hrs, do you think it will get better? Should I have used epoxy?
Thanks
Don

Offline vinemaplebows

Re: Glue creep
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 09:34:55 pm »
Don,

I have glued up LOTS of wood, and although "creep" is a term I am fimiliar with I have never seen it. You got a pic?

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Don Case

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 10:41:10 pm »
There's nothing you could see in a picture. It's just when you bend it a bit it seems to want to stay bent and when you straighten it out it stays straight. It's like the glue joint is sliding a bit. That's what made me think of creep.
Don

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 11:43:17 pm »
You'll find out soon enough. If there is enough creep that it does that, it should become delaminated  in no time at all! Wear your hard hat and goggles.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 11:50:29 pm »
You probably introduced moisture from the glue into the wood. Give it a few more days in the A/C and see if it isn't better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Don Case

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 12:53:06 am »
You probably introduced moisture from the glue into the wood. Give it a few more days in the A/C and see if it isn't better.

Thanks Pat, I hope you're right, I don't want to sand all that Ipe off. No A/C up here, doesn't get hot enough. I'll just aim a fan at it for a couple days.
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 12:59:42 am »
Don, I glued a snake skin on a bow with TB glue. A few days later I braced the bow and it was as soft as a noodle. I put it up for a week over my hot water heater and it was back to normal.
  FYI, TB glue releases at 150 deg(F). If you need to remove a backing or handle that was glued with TB glue just heat it up and it will release.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 01:34:26 am »
I used Elmers Probond(I couldn't find TB) but they're both PVA(I think)so should be similar. I thought the release temp was much higher. Remind me not to heat treat a laminated bow ;)
Don

Offline bushboy

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 02:47:55 pm »
I leave glue ups for a least 3 days no matter the instruction say,and you being from BC I would leave it a little longer.hopefully you didn't compromise the glue up by flexing it to early,but by your discription I would go very slowly and yes listen very carefully!a bow will speak to you most times,but not always! I know it's hard to wait that long without touching the wood!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 04:15:47 pm »
he glue is the same,i let my glue ups set a few days before working them
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹