Author Topic: What's this?  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Blaflair2

What's this?
« on: August 09, 2013, 01:49:03 am »
I'm working on my short osage bow and around the knot where I split the log is a trench were some fibers ripped off, what to do? I could really use some help guys! I'm just sitting here scraping it with a razor blade. It's gonna be all night if I don't hear a better answer. Thanks

Bruce
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline 4dog

Re: What's this?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 02:15:37 am »
Im not a master bowyer but i have a question for you where does the rip fall in regards to final thickness of the bow, is it in the final thickness or will it go away?
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 02:43:40 am »
Thats a grain tear-out, happens all the time with some woods. Just rasp it down. if the piece you have seems to be prone to them get the thickness down outside your lines and use the rasp from there, i've had some tear-outs that rip whole limbs off...
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 02:59:24 am »
It's pretty close to final tiller I'm thinking. Where the knot is kinda lumps up on one side and goes down on the other. This is my first bow so I'm nut too sure how far I have to work the knot down for final tiller. I'm almost to floor tiller. Also the edge of the bow by the knot goes from an angle from back to belly. I don't know if I'm describing it right.  I guess like this (_/  if that makes sense. How much should I round it off by the knot? The limb is alot wider by the knot. Any advice?

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 03:07:47 am »
I bet you could narrow it a little around the knot, but if you feel it's goin to blow it'd be better to have a little tearout then broken lol. How bad of an angle is the belly at? if it's pretty extreme you could remove wood similarly on the other side of the belly, or if its minimal just remove wood normally. Watch and see how much the knot area bends when you floor tiller and just make sure to lighten the stress a little around the knot and leave a little more wood around then normal. hope i helped
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 03:22:52 am »
I'd just ignore it til you get to tillering I'm sure by then it will almost be gone then just round the edge of the limbs off and hope that when it's rounded off the tear out is gone
I like osage

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 07:15:47 am »
Is that on the back or belly,if the belly,carry on ,if back you got some problems
that will need to be addressed.  :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 09:47:33 am »
It's on the belly. Everything is just starting to bend. I've been scraping it with a razor blade for days to thin it out. I don't wanna go too far so I figure go slow, very slow lol

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 10:03:23 am »
Shouldn't be a problem on the belly,did you follow the grain on the knot on the back ? almost looks like from the picture you took it off flat. :-\
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 10:05:42 am »
It follows the grain, it sorta goes up on one edge and down on the other. If that makes sense.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 10:23:13 am »
Yep,cool,you should be good to go. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 10:34:03 am »
If its more toward the belly and your not to floor tiller yet, it will most likely disappear as Pappy said. I would be abit worried about the knot on the back of your bow( above tear out), hard to tell from pic, but it looks like a ring violation to me... This is a great learnin experience for ya.... what caused the tear out? Draw knife or rasp etc...try and figure that out so it dont happen onda next one ;)... Thats a good lookin stick and it aint fire wood yet. I would recommend something better than a razor to scrape with tho... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 11:30:17 am »
I actually left a little of the above ring on the knot. So it's not fully down to the growth ring like the rest. I figured it wouldn't hurt. It's just a little piece that's very thin. Ill try and post a better pic.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 11:39:13 am »
Cool! Brother, I think your well on your way to a shooter..
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 06:29:08 pm »
So working this knot sucks. I'm doing the best I can, I wanted to have the knot on lower limb. But it feels better on the top. I just don't want n e new osage piecing a in my face. What so u guys think?