Author Topic: Persimmon----- Added cut staves  (Read 10006 times)

Offline Mad Max

Persimmon----- Added cut staves
« on: August 08, 2013, 06:12:34 pm »
I have some persimon trees on my place, not really any thing else there to make a bow with.
Any Info on cutting in the summer??
debarking, sap wood, drying , ect.   ????
there  about 8" to 10"
 :P
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:25:35 pm by Mad Max »
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Persimon
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 06:33:58 pm »
Looking forward to the your answers on this one.   I've got a chance to some persimmon and was wandering the same things.  do ya chase a ring?'....tension strong or compression strong? etc.
Thanks
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 06:58:04 pm »
Has it go persimmons on it?  If it don't bare fruit cut it down!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 07:15:48 pm »
Ive cut a quite a few persimmon trees down with intentions of making a bow from it but every tree ive ever cut and split had more twist than I wanted to mess with. The bark would show no signs that the grain was twisted but when i split them they did a 180 around the tree in 6 feet. I know there are others on here that have made bows from it, maybe use the search engine at the top of the page and I bet it will pull up tons of info.

Offline Patches

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 07:22:54 pm »
I cut some last spring and have it seasoning right now.  One piece twisted just like yours, the rest are OK so far.  I split it, took the bark off and sealed it, but I am just winging it.  I have no eperience with persimmon as bow wood other than this, but if I do not try then I will not learn.  I may have just made firewood, but I will give it a try here before too long and see if I can coax a bow out of it.
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 08:35:58 pm »
Treat persimmon like any other whitewood. Cut now and peel the bark off but if you wait much longer the bark will set until next spring.  Study the bark to be sure it doesn't have twists in it before you cut it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Newindian

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 08:54:19 pm »
Would this be texas permission, or american
I like free stuff.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 09:23:32 pm »
:)Mississippi,  I don't know
They are in the woods, so they are tall and skinny.

okie------- search did not do much.
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 09:33:23 pm »
Seems that I remember twistedlimbs posting a fine looking persimmon bow in the last couple of years.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Newindian

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 09:41:34 pm »

Probably american then, texas persimmon is a small, gnarly tree ,with white/light gray smooth bark
I like free stuff.

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2013, 09:47:20 pm »

Probably american then, texas persimmon is a small, gnarly tree ,with white/light gray smooth bark

the bark is dark and the trees are 30' tall :-\

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 09:55:01 pm »
I have had some good luck with persimmon, it frets really easy, like B-locust or B-walnut, but otherwise makes a good bow.  Too high a crown will crack on the back.  not really great in tension or compression in my personal opinion, but it sounds like your trees are wide enough you wont have to worry about crown issues...  most of what I get down here are saplings. It does tend to twist really bad during and after splitting.  It's really gamble with persimmon, some twist like crazy, some stay straight.  don't chase a ring, just peel the bark and seal the back and ends with wax. You'll definitely want to re-seal the back b\c it will check bad otherwise. You can't leave the bark on either b\c the borers love the stuff..  Wouldn't hurt to spray it with a little insecticide anyways, but if you leave the bark on, they will just eat them to pieces.
        the trees that I have down here will turn black on the back if you gently remove the summertime bark and seal with hot parrafin wax. It takes a week or so to turn black.... but pretty much all of them do it that I have cut. The belly takes on some green colors, but if you knick the back, the black will chip off...its only paper thin so if you like the black, don't sand it, just heat gently and wipe the wax away.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 10:04:03 pm »
thanks ;)

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 12:02:58 am »
I have had some good luck with persimmon, it frets really easy, like B-locust or B-walnut, but otherwise makes a good bow.  Too high a crown will crack on the back.  not really great in tension or compression in my personal opinion, but it sounds like your trees are wide enough you wont have to worry about crown issues...  most of what I get down here are saplings. It does tend to twist really bad during and after splitting.  It's really gamble with persimmon, some twist like crazy, some stay straight.  don't chase a ring, just peel the bark and seal the back and ends with wax. You'll definitely want to re-seal the back b\c it will check bad otherwise. You can't leave the bark on either b\c the borers love the stuff..  Wouldn't hurt to spray it with a little insecticide anyways, but if you leave the bark on, they will just eat them to pieces.
        the trees that I have down here will turn black on the back if you gently remove the summertime bark and seal with hot parrafin wax. It takes a week or so to turn black.... but pretty much all of them do it that I have cut. The belly takes on some green colors, but if you knick the back, the black will chip off...its only paper thin so if you like the black, don't sand it, just heat gently and wipe the wax away.

What is b/c-----------------  and does it have to be WAX,  :o      I have shellac  :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 05:51:39 am »
Pretty much what has been said,some twist when splitting some don't,most seem to twist worse after getting up the log on the second or 3 cut. Like Pat said check the bark first and be sure it is straight and that will help the odds. I debark right after cutting and seal the back and ends with wood glue cut with water,Like Ryan said bug love the stuff and will almost always eat it up if the bark is left on.It will turn a pretty purple color,at least mine do when it is sealed. Make it a little longer will help also.My draw is 26 and I make them 66 t-t 1 1/2 at the fads tapered to less than a 1/2 at the tips.It dose work good with heat so you can straighten most twist if it isn't really bad. Keep it dry as you work with it,it is slow to dry and will take on moisture like most white wood. Makes a good bow and beautiful when finished. Good luck and keep us updated. I got tons of them on my place and fruit or not if it looks good and straight barked I will cut them.  ;) :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good