Author Topic: Florida tree ID  (Read 1770 times)

Offline seminolewind

Florida tree ID
« on: August 09, 2013, 11:32:04 am »
Any ideas on this one ?
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

Re: Florida tree ID
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 11:32:32 am »
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 11:38:34 am »

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline autologus

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 12:02:05 pm »
Chinaberry maybe.  That is what it looks like to me.  Chinaberry is an invasive species in the south.

Grady
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:06:54 pm by autologus »
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 12:36:45 pm »
I'd have to agree.  Looks a lot like chinaberry.  It's invasive so it's your duty to cut it down  >:D
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 12:44:57 pm »
Hmmmm wonder if this is bow wood. ::)

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline autologus

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 01:02:27 pm »
From looking at the Wood Database it appears to be adequate bow wood somewhere in the neighborhood of .61 density when seasoned and but it is fairly lightweight and medium hardness.  It is ringed porous and dries with little warpage or checking.  The modulus of rupture and crushing strength looks to be similar to that of Red Elm.

Cut it down and season some and give it a go, you have nothing to lose but a little work and effort.

Grady

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 01:12:42 pm »
From looking at the Wood Database it appears to be adequate bow wood somewhere in the neighborhood of .61 density when seasoned and but it is fairly lightweight and medium hardness.  It is ringed porous and dries with little warpage or checking.  The modulus of rupture and crushing strength looks to be similar to that of Red Elm.

Cut it down and season some and give it a go, you have nothing to lose but a little work and effort.

Grady
Roger that thanks for the detailed response !

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 01:21:42 pm »
yup china berry.  very very fast growing tree, I have cut some staves in the past and found it very light weight and not good bow wood. I have heard rumor that if you get a giant one that has good heart wood, that it makes a decent bow.  might as well give it a try though. I cut a couple, but never used them. after seasoning, one  was so brittle I was able to break it in full sapling, stave form so i cut them up to burn
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline autologus

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 01:34:47 pm »
Well that is too bad about it being brittle, with it being an invasive species. 

Grady

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 02:39:36 pm »
Im for sure gonna cut that winged Elm down but will probably leave this one be. Thanks guys

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.