Author Topic: Is aluminum too soft for arrowheads?  (Read 6383 times)

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
Is aluminum too soft for arrowheads?
« on: August 16, 2013, 08:58:23 pm »

As the title says, I'm wondering is aluminum is too soft for arrowheads.

I have an idea for a cast head, but I'm almost certain aluminum would be too soft to be used as a functional point.

I've been surprised before though on my quest to find what works.
"In a world full of green, you'd be surprised how many want to see it burn. In a world full of cold grey, you'd be ashamed to see how many remember the green."

Offline Joec123able

Re: Is aluminum too soft for arrowheads?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 09:07:15 pm »
Well I guess it depends on how there designed and what your shooting at if your shooting at soft targets I'm sure they'd work fine but probably would need to be alittle thicker then steel to prevent them from bending over
I like osage

Offline DGF

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 11:51:58 pm »
I wouldn't attempt a hunting head out of aluminum, that's for sure. Besides being so light I would think it wouldn't hold an edge being as soft as it is.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 12:03:23 am »

Yep! ;)  Unless you are hunting rabbits, or tree rats.  But they would not hold up for very many shots.  You would be better off using bone.

Wayne

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 03:58:03 pm »
if you are just making blunts out of a hard alloy go for it. Alumnium can get pretty dang sharp but nowhere near as good as steel. I used to make arrowheads out of it(blunts and broadheads) cause i had more of it than steel and I could easily shape the alumnium with hand tools...
For broadheads don't unless you want to use 1/10 or thicker stuff. Its extremely easy to bend them.
I still have some broadheads made out of it- ill get pics tommorow(fixing the camera tonight)

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 08:25:20 pm »
The short answer is yes, not all aluminum is soft. I've made reasonable arrowheads from both 6061-T6 and 7075-T6. Depending on your purpose for the heads is where the difficulties are gonna pop up their ugly heads. I used 5/16" thick 6061 to make some broadheads they held up well but you would have to seriously look at their heavy-bone durability. I have also made target points from them similar to bodkins in shape and they worked very well, they will not take a lot of repeated cement etc. hits.
     Basically, unless you want to make them "just because" have fun, but for some tough hunting probably pick something else like barrel banding or high carbon steel. Would killing with them be possible ya got to say yes cause the structural aluminum is tougher than bone (when reduced to a arrowhead) and Natives have filled their pots for centuries with bone heads. But ethically, you do have other and better choices.
Just one old mans thoughts on it so take it for the little it's worth
rich