Author Topic: Cutting bamboo for shafts  (Read 4573 times)

Offline Michael Scott

Cutting bamboo for shafts
« on: August 04, 2013, 04:09:33 pm »
What is the best tool to use for cutting bamboo stock for arrows? Would I want to use some sort of a saw, a knife, or some sort of pruning shears? I see many stands of bamboo near where I live, and have been itching to cut some to try and make my own shafts. Any advice or ideas would be great!! Thanks!!
Michael Scott

After 10+ years shooting traditional archery, I am now interested in progressing farther back in time to primitive archery.

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Cutting bamboo for shafts
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 04:54:26 pm »
I just use a bowie knife and slice diagonally across where I cut.  Later I'll go back and trim them up with some type of rotating blade.

Or you could use stone.  Just use the edge of the stone to cut a ring all the way around and then bend the shoot at that point slightly in all directions and you'll feel the fibers breaking at that point.  This method allows the shoot to come off real clean.... if you want to be real primitive.

Slicing with a large knife is by far the quickest way I know to do it.  That stuff is good trading material too...
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 09:11:44 pm »

I use a pair of hedge loppers, I got from the man store.  (Harbor Freight)  It cuts them without crushing the area where you cut it.  It is sharp, and has a ratcheting system for the jaws.  A small toothed saw will work also.  Like a hacksaw, or something similar.  These bamboo hedges wouldn't be in peoples yards or the park would they? >:D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Not that I have ever done anything like that, a local park, on a Sunday, when the park attendant isn't there. ::)

Wayne

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 09:24:02 pm »
+ 1 on the loppers............I use them on river cane they work good!
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 11:46:37 pm »
a razor edge hatchet is by far the best. I have tried loppers, cutters, pruning saws, a hacksaw, and a 10" hunting knife... and the hatchet cuts cleanly every time without splitting the 'boo or cane.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline tallpine

• East Texas
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 12:35:39 am »
I have tried just about everything and the best tool I have found is a PVC pipe cutter. They are small enough to reach right into a thick stand of cane and neatly snip off the one you want. I also use it for cutting my shafts to length, makes a clean square cut. >Dan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 10:33:34 am »
I use my Felco #2 hand pruners(bypass style) I use in landscape work to cut all my cane and sourwood shoots.
 Be sure you cut mature(at least 2 years old) culms(canes). The immature ones will wrinkle lengthwise as they dry and they will be too flimsy for most arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Patches

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 06:01:19 pm »
I use a coping saw.  The small teeth do not cause the shaft to crack, it can fit into tight places because you can change the angle of the blade, and it does the job quick. 
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 11:21:36 pm »
I have tried just about everything and the best tool I have found is a PVC pipe cutter. They are small enough to reach right into a thick stand of cane and neatly snip off the one you want. I also use it for cutting my shafts to length, makes a clean square cut. >Dan
what is this magical tool? I tried a normal conduit or pipe cutter(for copper/alumnium/soft steel/brass/you get the point) and it just split the stuff.
bypass pruners work well too. A hatchet just has an awesome factor though...
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 09:23:47 am »
You can't beat a set of Felco pruning shears for cutting arrow cane. Don't use anvil shears, only bypass.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 08:16:19 pm »
You don't have to bend over as far with a good sharp pair of loppers!    ;D ;D ;)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 10:13:57 am »
But you can't carry the loppers in your pocket. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 12:22:43 am »

I have a pair of cutters, with about a 3 or 4 inch long razor sharp, replaceable blade, that I keep in my truck.  I use those, when I don't have my loppers handy, or can't use them because it would be obvious what I am doing to certain........ uh....... park officials....... uh if I were to do such things, that is........ ::) ;)  They are also from the the Man's store. (Harbor Freight) ;)  They cut clean, without any split edges.  They are about eight inches or so, long.  And Fit in my pocket. ;)
Each of these items listed on here from other contributors, are all worthy of using.  Just use what is handy and works for you. ;)    You want a tool, that is handy, and won't crush, or split the boo, or cane.  The best tool, is the "one" you like. :D

Wayne