Author Topic: Iowa corn lion!!!  (Read 4884 times)

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Iowa corn lion!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 10:06:19 am »
  STICKBENDER
  I read a book called NINO COCHEISE the grandson of the great cheif COCHEISE. Their small band (mostly family)were the last to hold out. Like 20 some years. The lived on a high hidden massa before they were found out by a rancher looking for cows.  They talk about a child beind killed by a owl many years before. I can't remember much about it it was 40 or so years since I read the book.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline stickbender

Re: Iowa corn lion!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 04:53:44 pm »

CrooketArrow;
I had read about the Great Horned Owls having killed people, in either Outdoor Life, or Sportsafield, yeas ago, when I was a teenager, or early twenties.  I can't remember which magazine it was, as I used to read them both.  But the article talked about how a game warden was killed, and his neck was broken.  It also told of others, who had been killed by them.  Not a lot of people, but nonetheless it lets you know what they are capable of.  I think I have read of the Nino Band before.  I don't know if he was with Geronimo when they forced out of the lava fields, by cannon fire.  And then lied to by the Government.  But I remember something about a few of them not surrendering.  I was hit in the face by a screech owl, one night, when I was about 11 or 12 yrs. old.  I was up in a tree, and my Buddy, and I were having a pine cone fight, and I was hiding up in a pine tree, and his carport light was on, and I just had my head, peeking around the tree, to see where he was, when, I see this whitish thing coming at me, and I am trying to figure out what it was, I thought too big for a moth, then just before it hit me in the face, I saw it was a Screech Owl, and it hit hard! :o  Then it realized I was not in his prey category, and flew off.  I climbed down, and told my Buddy what had happened.  My face was scratched, and bleeding.  Lucky I didn't get my eyes clawed.  Which is probably what it saw, with the light reflecting off my eyes.  The thing about an Owl versus an Eagle, or Hawk, is the Owls wing feathers, are not stiff, but soft, and make hardly any noise at all, so you don't hear them approaching.  Which is what they rely on when hunting at night. ;) 

Wayne