Author Topic: ERC design questions( old log)  (Read 810 times)

Offline jeffhalfrack

ERC design questions( old log)
« on: August 06, 2013, 06:12:07 pm »
   My  buddy  just called  he has an old erc log(40yrs) he split into staves the sap wood is not usable but the heart wood is great!  he has made many white wood self bows never erc   what would a good design be? i.e. length width ect?  he plans to back it  he has deer,calf and cow raw hide linen silk he also wants to know how far to tiller before hide backing or fabric backing.   and  I  would like to know how would an ash backing be on a decrowned erc  thanks  I know this is more than a nickles worth  JeffW

blackhawk

Re: ERC design questions( old log)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 06:30:48 pm »
I've done sinew backed,hickory backed,and rawhide backed...and all will work fine if done right....but my favorite backing for juniperus virginiana is sinew backed,even tho its a lil more effort to do its worth it in the end ;)  if you have good ash backers I'm sure that would work well too....what does he draw weight and length? What style of bows does he favor best? If he doesn't like short bows then maybe sinew isn't the best answer for him and a hardwood backing and longer bow is? Lots of options,styles,and choices,and it just depends on what cranks his shaft and personal preferences

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
Re: ERC design questions( old log)
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 10:01:57 am »
I have made a paddle / pyramid (piddle?  :D )style bow with hickory backing.  It is the bow I am shooting these days, and the fastest straight bow I have made.  The piece of ERC was very good and all heartwood.  I backed it because here in the UK, ERC is very very hard to get hold of, and of course it has a certain reputation for going kaboom! ;).  Osage is easier to find but still rare......
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719