Author Topic: Superglue finish  (Read 12622 times)

mikekeswick

Re: Superglue finish
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 03:56:07 am »
Jusr remember there are many different types of superglue - it will be worth perserveering to find the right stuff and then perfecting your technique applying it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 07:32:19 am »
One bottle of GOOD glue will go a long, long ways. Its amazing how far a few good drops will spread. Ive never done a whole bow. Ive done a section or two. And a few tropical wood risers and such. CA glue will not only do a nice finish, but it also seals oils back in woods and allows a conventional poly to be used. I suggest Loctite Professional. About 8-9 bucks a bottle.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 08:54:56 am »
It cost me .99 cent to double coat my last bow. Now that Wally World has raised their 4 pack up to a $1.29 I may have to look around for something cheaper >:D..........Art B

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 09:43:16 am »
I put a second coat on this morning and after some coffee it was dry, that is a nice perk of this finish. I strung it up and pulled back several times, at first i thought i heard some crackling but if I did it stopped after the first pull, everything was quiet and i couldn't see any cracks in the finish, we'll see if it holds up over time, i think i'll go one more coat this evening.

45# at 27"

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 11:52:21 am »
Heres my one and only experience with it. It was on this years trade bow. The Milksnake and osage. Im sure it works well but I made a booboo to start with and I think thats why it turned out the way it did.

I was told at OJAM this year by a very experienced bowyer that he uses it on the backs of his snake skins and that it will fill up the little pockets in the scales, so I tried it. Wipe on a coat, let it dry, lighlty sand it with 400 grit and then apply again a time or two. Idea was to fill in the scale pockets and even it out. I did this, It looked stellar. I let it dry for a day and cure. I then strung it and pulled it a few times. What is that milky look? I was in panic mode cause this bow went from perfect finish to totally unacceptable in no time flat. The finish was delaminating from the skins and creating tiny air pockets. I thought it had ruined the skins. I was devistated, I was almost ready to cash it in and start on another bow. No way was I sending that thing out looking like that, no matter how good it shot. I called my buddy Jimmy for advise and he said bring it over and we'll take a look at it. He scrapped some off with his finger nail and we decided that we could scrap it off and start over without ruining the skin. We made the save. It turned out ok. What I failed to include in the begining of this story is that I had already applied a couple coats of tru oil to the bow. I think that CA did not stick well to the tru oil once flexed and thats what allowed for the delamination. So lesson learned and I will try it again, next time on a pure back with out other finshes on it.

Just my two cents     Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2013, 02:11:32 pm »
Art, have you had problems with it crackling on a bow?
45# at 27"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2013, 02:19:38 pm »
Danny that is great insight.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline rps3

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 02:30:27 pm »
Dan, I realize it is too late for you, but I may as well add my experience. My one and only selfbow with ca looked great initially, than over time it started to chip and flake in areas. I wont use it again.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2013, 02:38:05 pm »
No, I've not had any cracking (or chipping or flaking) Gopher. I think these guys are referring to coating snake skins. I don't use SG on skins. For myself, Tite-bond glue works well enough for that. I use the cheap runny stuff, never a problem with it. Not counting stuck fingers of course. As was mentioned, lots of different type SG out there. What I use (cheap Wally World stuff) works great for what I do........Art B

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 03:01:47 pm »
I tried it over snake skins and it turned a beautiful prairie rattler backing into a frosted backing.  That was before flexing it.  The back looked like a frozen snake.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 03:05:31 pm »
I was thinking about this CA glue finish and recalled how it discolors yew sapwood.  When filling checks, knots and thread wraps, I have noticed CA glue discolors the white sapwood, making it bright  yellow/green. 

I have used it over snake and sturgeon skin in the past, but I have switched to shellac for skins.  In my opinion, shellac is a much better option than CA glue for that purpose.  It can fill the voids and even it out, just like CA glue.  It might take 10 coats to achieve a smooth finish that you can get with 3 coats of CA glue, but you can do 10 coats of shellac in an hour, so it is not as bad as it might sound. And you can use just about any finish over the shellac.  Just my .02
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 03:06:19 pm »
If you google search: superglue finish on a bow, you will get links to how to articles.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline autologus

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 03:14:00 pm »
I don't think all CA glues are created equal, I have some CA glue that states on the package it dries white.  I have used it on some fletchings and the glue did turn white where I accidentally got some on the shaft where there was no fletching.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, 07:52:59 pm »
I agree, a CA Glue finish is the Tops for me.
I've posted several walking sticks with it.
The Osage Hawk handle, Hot Sticks and Cholla Bowie I posted were all CA Glue finishes.

But the Osage Molly was  Heart Breaker...

Heck I hope it works out for you...
Please post your results.

I Have been re reading Gordon's Winter Project for inspiration.
In it he uses a Lite coat of CA Glue to lock the snake skin scale pockets down after removing the scales, before he applies his finish.
Not the many thin coats I tried...
At least that's the way it reads to me...

But heck perhaps I did something wrong...  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 09:19:55 pm »
does a thinned epoxy finish help hold down splinters?
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"