Author Topic: Superglue finish  (Read 12625 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
Superglue finish
« on: August 05, 2013, 03:25:02 pm »
I've tried the search function so either i'm doing something wrong or its not out there yet.

I've done CA finished on other woodworking (non-bending) projects so i am familiar with the process, i am just wondering if anyone has done it on a bow? I am wondering if the CA will be too brittle over time and crack or flake off? I just have no idea what happens to CA when its under a bending stress, thanks, dan.
45# at 27"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Superglue finish
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 03:48:30 pm »
Dan I know Artsy seals his sourwood shafts with it. They are works of art.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 04:00:08 pm »
It works fine on a bow Gopher. You can load up a piece of foam or use a paper towel to apply/spread. Slight learning cure here. If you happen to apply another finish over the SG finish later then be sure to scuff/sand well .....Art B

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 05:01:47 pm »
when i have used it on other projects i just put a drop on the piece and rub it around smooth and thin with my finger (latex gloves of course) CA doesn't stick to latex gloves. one drop goes a long way. i'm going to do this tonight, let you know how it goes.
45# at 27"

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 05:11:32 pm »
Interesting.  I was wondering about trying that on fir shafts, thinking it would add mass and strength.  I would like to see a bow finished in CA.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 05:18:45 pm »
i'll take some pictures of the process
45# at 27"

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 07:47:51 pm »
doesn't Gordon use it on skins?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sonny

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 07:48:10 pm »
A buddy of mine uses superglue on the back of most of his bows and those things are like glass when he's
done sanding and polishing.
But he has the patience for that. I don't!

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 07:59:43 pm »
First thing that crossed my mind: That stuff aint cheap! That's an expensive finish for a whole bow.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 10:35:55 pm »
Never heard of Ca glue finish.I have heard of Epoxy cut with acetone for a finish.Its commonly called the Massey finish,after Jay Massey who made it popular.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 11:13:49 pm »
I have tried that on a small, light minibow pulling #20 @12"... locust heartwood.

It didn't work well. i wound up with my middle finger stuck to the bow... and it was rather painful to remove... at least my hand was dirty. Lesson- don't use thick CA glue.

On a better note- I have finished a bow with TB2 mixed with a little water. It did not crack, or anything, but it wasn't easy to apply and looked no better than urathane... and it scratched wayy too easily.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 11:28:50 pm »
I've used it on bows and works well but kind of expensive. It's best to use the medium thick stuff so it doesn't dry too fast, I use a plastic baggy to spread. Depending on the stain you use under the glue, it can turn candy apple red. cheers fiddler49

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 01:21:56 am »
I love a CA Glue Finish.

On anything but a bow.
I tried it over snake skins and it was Beautiful on an Osage Molly.
Until I began shooting the finished bow.
After 30 shots the finish was cracked or crazed over the full length of both limbs.

I did many water thin coats with sanding about every third or fourth coat.
Rubbed out with Rottenstone and Lindseed oil.
I will not go that route again...
I question CA Glue's tension strength.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 01:41:38 am »
 Darn, i should have checked in again before starting, now the reviews are mixed, oh well first cost Is on  we'll see how this goes.
45# at 27"

mikekeswick

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 03:55:08 am »
A superglue finish when done properly looks amazing. A friend of mine makes custom knifes and uses it. I'm awaiting the pictures.