Author Topic: Osage question  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Joec123able

Osage question
« on: August 05, 2013, 12:40:37 am »
So Ive seen a bunch of Osage bows that have that real dark color that they naturally get over time but I noticed the bows tht have that dark color are usually many years old. This might be a stupid question but is there any way to speed up the darkening of Osage I'm just in love with those dark honey colored Osage bows.
I like osage

Offline Poggins

Re: Osage question
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 01:01:39 am »
Sunlight will darken osage but if it's to hot it could cause problems.
Some osage will darken faster than others , I've noticed that in my stave pile , I can cut three or four different trees split them and remove the bark and sapwood and leave them on my drying rack in my barn and the staves from one tree may darken faster than the others.

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 01:19:19 am »
A tanning bed or grow lights will work also ;)
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 01:23:34 am »
Sunlight will darken osage but if it's to hot it could cause problems.
Some osage will darken faster than others , I've noticed that in my stave pile , I can cut three or four different trees split them and remove the bark and sapwood and leave them on my drying rack in my barn and the staves from one tree may darken faster than the others.
I thought about leaving it out in the sun but was afraid it might screw something up like you said if it was really hot And yea it makes sence that different pieces may darken faster

A tanning bed or grow lights will work also ;)

Isn't it the UV rays that cause it to darken ?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 01:30:48 am by Joec123able »
I like osage

Offline dbb

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 05:50:56 am »
I think Simson had some trick to age osage with some chemical concoction.
Maybe he will answer,or you could ask him.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 09:45:01 am »
Clorox or a dilute lye solution will darken osage imediately.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 09:50:38 am »
Does Clorox hurt the wood Eric? It seems harsh.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 09:53:47 am »
  I have no personnal experience but I read a lot of fuming with amonia in wood working circles. Chlorox fumes may have the same effect.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 12:44:10 pm »
hearing poeple talk about clorox and ammonia to produce the same effect makes me nervous. I don't know if either one works to age osage (I would just wait and let nature take its course). I'm just worried that someone will start experimenting with bleach and ammonia. when bleach and ammonia mix, chlorine gas is produced, breath this long enough and you die. just let it age on its own.
45# at 27"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 12:46:32 pm »
Amen to that Gopher.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 02:00:21 pm »
Using Clorox is a good way to blend the color back in on a finished Osage bow that's had it's weight reduced Pearly. Use it many times.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 02:13:35 pm »
Plum brown gun barrel browning works.You've got to apply heat to it with the heat gun to get it to change and then you can control how dark you want it.
Personally I just let it age with time.If I want a darker bow I'll retrieve it deeper from the heartwood on a bigger stave.That works too.Those seem to get darker quicker.If the stave is dry leaving it in the sun does'nt hurt any of mine.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 03:14:44 pm »
i don't think it is even a question of heat, i presume that it is UV that causes it to darken, just leave it in a sunny window in your house.
45# at 27"