Author Topic: tricks to avoiding frets in BL?  (Read 4771 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: tricks to avoiding frets in BL?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 01:57:40 pm »
OK.I'll try to make one this winter and go very slowly.It's just wood.Lightly heat temper the belly after floor tillering it[to maybe help avoid chrsyalling] to about 60# for a future 52# bow.Does it gain poundage like hickory will after heat treating?The BL here in Iowa is'nt quite as dense as my hickory but denser than my red elm.Which puts it in the mid .60 density range.Which falls in line with what the Bow Wood section in the TTB 4 book says it is.
Sorry I'm hijacking your thread here Lee but I'm curious too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 02:02:17 pm »
OK.I'll try to make one this winter and go very slowly.It's just wood.Lightly heat temper the belly after floor tillering it[to maybe help avoid chrsyalling] to about 60# for a future 52# bow.Does it gain poundage like hickory will after heat treating?The BL here in Iowa is'nt quite as dense as my hickory but denser than my red elm.Which puts it in the mid .60 density range.Which falls in line with what the Bow Wood section in the TTB 4 book says it is.
Sorry I'm hijacking your thread here Lee but I'm curious too.

I live in Iowa most of the locust around here is honey locust where in Iowa do you live ?
I like osage

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 02:06:26 pm »
Southern Iowa.Mid range.About 10 miles from the Iowa Missouri border.We've got the honey locust here too.By a little town called Corydon.Come get ya some BL if you want.PM me and I'll give you my ph.no.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 02:20:45 pm »
Southern Iowa.Mid range.About 10 miles from the Iowa Missouri border.We've got the honey locust here too.By a little town called Corydon.Come get ya some BL if you want.PM me and I'll give you my ph.no.

One of these days well have to meet up n shoot some bows  8) I can get black locust where I am just harder to find
I like osage

Offline oldhippy

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 03:29:33 pm »
 To be perfectly honest with everyone. I love black locust. We don't have too much osage in these mountains but plenty of locust and it"s the dense kind. The first bow I ever built was locust and never had any trouble with frets, and the bow that I have hunted with for the last five years is made of locust and no problems. I have talked to local bowyers and have been told that they have yet to build a locust bow that hasn't fretted. I think that the wood here is more like osage in the fact it is so dense and I think that you can get by with it being a little bit narrower and thicker. But what do I know?
  Steve
I'm only a figment of my own imagination (:::.)

Offline artcher1

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 03:54:09 pm »
Only way I'm going to believe that tale is if'n I could try some of your black locust Oldhippy >:D ;D

Seriously though, I'll take a good BL bow over a good Osage any day. Made a few decent shooters out of crappy BL wood so I've an inkling of what a really great piece of black locust will produce........Art B

Offline oldhippy

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 04:14:41 pm »
 Ask Gun Doc and Blackhawk about this ole mountain stuff and see what they think. I never thought about it before giving out a couple of staves
I'm only a figment of my own imagination (:::.)

blackhawk

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 09:13:14 pm »
I've said it before...I've used locust from Michigan,Ohio,Indiana, here in pennsylvania, and soon to be WNC thanks to old hippy....I've noticed differences in density between some of them and the thinner ringed and not so great ratio wood seems to be more brittle,and probably more prone to fretting...but I've still never had frets on any of my locust bows yet(cross my fingers)even with some of the less dense average to below average density locust.....the stuff I got from Steve is the densest locust I have seen yet and can't wait to try it(it rings like a bell,and sounds and feels very osage like)...I haven't had much time in the shop because the summertime shoots have been in full swing for me...but I hope to soon because it appears to be primo locust,and I wanna push its limits and see what it can do ....and I like trading with old hippy  ;D

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 11:28:53 pm »
I lived in Maine until just over three years ago when I moved here to western KY. Black locust was the best bow wood I had in Maine. I always made "pyramid" style bows and chrysalling was not a problem. A bow tapered only in width and of uniform thickness in the limbs comes off the band saw with a nearly perfect tiller. All the wood is equally strained except for differences in the wood itself. Those differences do make a little fine tuning necessary.

One of my bows was over strained, but because of the pyramid design, it was still equally strained. It had chrysals from end to end, but shot fine and only broke when I accidentally overdrew it after about a year of shooting.

Back locust is great bow wood. I use hickory and elm more now, but only because those are so easy to get on my own land.

Jim Davis
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:05:52 pm by asharrow »
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 12:18:07 am »
Why is black locust considered to be such a great bow wood if it crysals easily? Is it fast?

mikekeswick

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 04:11:59 am »
It doesn't chyrsal easily it chrysals it you do something wrong. It tells you exactly what you have done wrong. It's not about good/bad luck it's about proper execution. Take a look at my recurve that thing is strained to within an inch of its life and no chyrsal's......it is also the fastest bow i've ever made. B.locust has a set of properties that make it the fastest wood around - I really do think that if people started chasing the 200 fps goal (maybe not achievable but that's what makes it fun!) locust would be right, right up there. My bow is still shooting the same speed as it was when new. 185 - 190fps with 9 - 10 grains per pound. This bow is almost an annomily!
What BH said about it's how you get to full draw is what you want to be listening to.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 08:50:23 am »
Well, let's say, if you're tillering your BL bows just as well as Mike and it still frets, then it has to do with how well the wood is seasoned or regional and/or density differences.............Art B ;D