Author Topic: Osage shorty (first bow)  (Read 6867 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Osage shorty (first bow)
« on: August 03, 2013, 03:04:47 am »
Hello again,

So I'm chasing the ring on this little snakey turd of a stave and got a few questions. It's about 52" long and kinda snakey. I was wondering if I could connect siyahs on top to make it a little longer. I'm sorta just winging this. I tried uploading pix but they r too big. Also if it is in sort of an "S" shape should I leave pat of the curve for the bevel and take off one said to straighten it? Ill work on figuring out the pictures.  Thanks
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Osage shorty (first bow)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 10:05:09 am »
What kind of draw length are you trying to get out of it?  If I was working that stave I would add a sinew backing instead of siyahs, but that's just me.  I like short sinewed bows.  Try to post some pictures if you can.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 01:24:01 pm »
It's possible but I would probably just either do what Osage outlaw said or make a bend through the handle type bow
I like osage

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 02:52:03 pm »
If this is your first bow I'd say to find a long stave and learn how to tiller first. After you have that under your belt you can try this short, snakey stave. You have to learn to crawl before you can learn to walk!!!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 02:56:33 pm »
My other osage stave isn't dry yet. And I'm itching! I'm just gonna go for this one, I know my chance of failure. We're gonna let it ride and try it. If I can figure out how to downsize my pics ill post some

Offline DLH

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 07:34:37 pm »
If this is your first bow I'd say to find a long stave and learn how to tiller first. After you have that under your belt you can try this short, snakey stave. You have to learn to crawl before you can learn to walk!!!

I second this being a new guy myself you will make some mistakes and wish you had kept that snakey stave. You will learn a lot if you go through with it but you will learn a lot from chasing a ring on a beginner stave too.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 11:18:31 pm »
I'm about to have another daughter and I have no means of getting another stave, so I just have to be diligent and maybe I can get a bow out of this, maybe not. But either way I'm enjoying myself. I'm sure u fellas are correct that it prolly isn't gonna work, but I gotta try. It's all a learning experience wether on a snakey little turd or a long nice stave, I'm sure ill find a way to mess it up! I really appreciate everyone's advice and input. Thanks again

Offline DLH

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 12:03:53 am »
If that's all ya got and having fun then go for it these guys here will keep you on the right track I do know that!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 12:38:11 am »
I figured I'd practice on the stuff I got free before I bought a stave. But if the bow actually works out it will be called bulldozer, as that's how I aquired the stave. Well log. And again I appreciate everyone's help and experience.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 09:38:30 am »
Can you post a pic of the stave ? It's easer to help some one if you can see what they are working on , I've seen a lot of short osage bows ,y shorty is 48" tip to tip and 47" ntn and just over 40# at 20 inches of draw and I stump shoot with it and use it for bowfishing  .

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 10:41:14 am »
How can I shrink the picture. It says its too big to post. Any help?

Offline DLH

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 12:11:18 pm »
I upload mine to photobucket then adjust the size from there and use the img link to paste directly into my post.

Offline CORIUS

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 04:27:50 pm »
If you open the photo using the program paint (right click photo, select open with, click on paint) there is a button in the upper left hand corner of paint that says resize. So just continue to resize the photo until it is 200kb or less
Where there's a will, there's a bow.

PA subscription #: PM108452

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 04:48:36 pm »
I use my phone, still can't figure it out

Offline CORIUS

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 11:10:04 pm »
Do you have or have access to a computer?
Where there's a will, there's a bow.

PA subscription #: PM108452