Author Topic: Walnut bow (full draw added)  (Read 5859 times)

Offline Joec123able

Re: Walnut bow (full draw added)
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2013, 07:44:23 pm »
Nice work on that BW.

I have limited experience and have only finished 4 bows. 3 osage and 1 black walnut. The walnut has been the best performer so far.

Yea walnut is awesome bow wood thanks to how light it is but I'd still pick a nice Osage stave over walnut To be honest
I like osage

Offline Lefty8917

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2013, 02:40:21 am »
Nice bow! Strung profile looks really cool. And I like the heartwood in the handle. Adds natural color.  And us self bowyers, natural is what we strive for!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 02:45:47 am »
Nice bow! Strung profile looks really cool. And I like the heartwood in the handle. Adds natural color.  And us self bowyers, natural is what we strive for!

YES that's why I never stain any of my bows and never will I like to let the natural beauty of the wood show ! And thanks so much !
I like osage

Offline dbb

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 05:41:16 am »
Natural wood is indeed pretty but people of all times have stained bows for different reasons.
Some for ritual or for better "mojo",some because a bright light hickory or similar wood will spook game.
Personaly i like to darken the belly  to cut the glare when you have the sun behind you if the bow is made of light wood.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 01:34:06 pm »
Well, now I have to give walnut a try! That's a good looking bow right there, well done!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 01:57:08 pm »
Natural wood is indeed pretty but people of all times have stained bows for different reasons.
Some for ritual or for better "mojo",some because a bright light hickory or similar wood will spook game.
Personaly i like to darken the belly  to cut the glare when you have the sun behind you if the bow is made of light wood.

Of course, nothing wrong with staining them if there really light.

Well, now I have to give walnut a try! That's a good looking bow right there, well done!

DO IT lol cut as much of it as you can
I like osage