Author Topic: cane shaft field point ideas?  (Read 1875 times)

Offline sleek

cane shaft field point ideas?
« on: August 01, 2013, 04:17:09 am »
So I am doing an archery shoot this weekend and will be shooting cane shafts. I have no belt sander at the moment to make the footed shafts to accept glue ons. Leading to problem number two. I am short on glue ons.  So I will be making my own. I need to make about 24 of them for this 3d course. ( lots of insane shots ) Any ideas?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DGF

Re: cane shaft field point ideas?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 04:43:48 am »
On the garden stake arrow build along sticky on this page it is shown how to make points from duplex nails. Price and availability may make it a good substitute to glue on heads.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 10:33:35 am »
Screw in target points will work with cane. You'll have to drill out the hole so the shank fits in and glue them in and wrap behind them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Maxspin

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 11:24:56 am »
I have built the garden stake arrows with the duplex nail points. They work very good. I chucked them up in a hand drill, and used a bench grinder, but I imagine that a file would work too. I used epoxy to glue them in, and have never had one come out.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 01:04:20 pm »
haha i also used a bench grinder to take off the nodes ;)
.223 shells work very well,  but you need to cut off the top. I use a tubing cutter and then stick it into a drill and jam an old throwing knife into it to de-ream it.
I think .38 shells would work as well... or 30-06. Have only tried .223 and .22, and .22 is too small for almost anything.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 10:22:52 pm »
Probably gonna do the duplex nail idea and instead of a wrap, slide a shell over the shaft to bring the weight up some.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 10:50:04 pm »
if you have the time, you can take 1/4" rod stock and make a point, stick it into the end, and then put some epoxy and then sand the shaft down so it is nice and smooth. I do this with atlatl darts.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 09:36:19 am »
I'd go with the duplex nail and epoxy.  The shell for weight idea is what I use for blunts and will tear up a target just like a blunt.  I think Pat's idea is great since I have a lot of screw in points from the old days when I used aluminum arrows. Pretty sure you can fill the hole with a squewer or chop stick then tapper for a point, but you said your low on points.  IF all else fails, may be able to use Pat's idea, screw-ins are available about anywhere they have sportingoods and hunting stuffs. Good luck, sounds like a wild shoot if you think you need 24 arrows  :o, I usually carry three or four.  dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 10:52:56 am »
Thanks for the bamboo skewer idea. Gonna use that. And yes it is a wild shoot. Targets on zip lines, theough forks in trees, between branches, a bear through an out house half moon window, big cat on a river on rocks, and plenty of other crazy shots. Also there are broken arrows littering the ground. Lots of fun and a bit pricey in arrow cost. Never bring your best.