Author Topic: Oil Tanned leather from Veg tanned  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Greebe

Oil Tanned leather from Veg tanned
« on: July 30, 2013, 11:08:40 am »
I know that it is not possible to make true oil tanned leather from veg tanned leather but I winder if there is a way to get close to it.  I have a bunch of 7/8 oz vet tanned tooling leather that I would
like to make a quiver out of.  However it is supper stiff which works well for tooling and wet forming, but I would like a softer more supple quiver.

Any good ways to make it like oil tanned leathe?

Thanks,
Greebe

Offline Stoker

Re: Oil Tanned leather from Veg tanned
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 06:51:05 pm »
7-8 oz veg tan is stiff.. You could try treating it with neetsfoot oil.. Might soften a bit.. Ifin you have a half side use the belly it's thinner.. If you got a shoulder or a double shoulder that's the good stuff for tooling... Maybe you could do a trade with someone on the board that may want some and some of what your looking for.. Personnally it ain't worth the effort.. Look at the thrift stores an old suede jacket.. Worth a try... Good veg tan costs to much and is good for a lot of stuff to valueable to waste...
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Greebe

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 09:53:01 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I think I might go even more primitive and just make one out of cattails as they are all over the place here.  Then it will be free and give me a project I have never tried before.

Thanks
Greebe

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 10:55:28 pm »
If you have a portable belt sander, put on some 60 grit, a good face mask or respirator, and sand the flesh side down as thin as you want it.  Just don't leave the sander in one spot too long or it will eat thru.