Author Topic: Bow design for narrow osage staves?  (Read 5051 times)

Offline richpierce

Bow design for narrow osage staves?
« on: December 06, 2007, 12:34:07 pm »
An osage log we split last weekend had so many checks we had to follow that some staves came out very narrow, about 1 and 1/4".  The wood is nice, has good growth rings and is straight.  What is the best design for such a narrow stave to give me a 55 pound bow?  Staves are about 70".  I have lots of sinew if that helps.  Were native American bows of the lower midwest where osage is found, sometimes narrow?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Bow design for narrow osage staves?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 12:41:02 pm »
I make my 65# osage bows at 1 1/4" on purpose. You have plenty of wood for about any weight you want. You can leave it that length or you can cut it as short as 62-64" without any concern or special needs.  I would leave it 1 1/4" wide to about midlimb then taper to the tips.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Bow design for narrow osage staves?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 12:56:12 pm »
I agree, 1.25" is as wide as you need for whatever you want.  You can make a 55lb@28" bow out of a 1" width if you go 66" length for a stiff handle, or 60" for bendy handle.  With sinew, you can make a 50" bendy handle bow that is 1" to 1.25" wide.

Native American bows were often quite short, but you have to consider that they were sometimes shorter themselves and/or they drew to an anchor point on the chest rather than the corner of the mouth.  And those that used the pinch grip to draw, probably limited themselves to a reasonable draw weight as a result (maybe 50lb which is certainly enough poundage to kill most animals in North America).
Lennie
Hannibal, MO