Author Topic: Seasoning  (Read 1645 times)

Don Case

Seasoning
« on: July 29, 2013, 01:36:15 pm »
Would it be foolish to try to slow the drying rate by putting the staves in a plastic bag?
Thanks
Don

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Seasoning
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 01:37:47 pm »
That breeds mold and mildew.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 01:42:56 pm »
I'm Wondering why in the world would you want to slow the drying ?
I like osage

Don Case

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 01:47:46 pm »
To stop it from checking.

I wondered about mold. Maybe if I open the bag once a week :-\

I collected some Ocean Spray yesterday and now I'm concerned that I shouldn't have done it in the summer.
Don

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 02:14:10 pm »
seal it with several coats of poly, shellac, or something similar.  I have harvested a lot of staves in the summer and as long as I seal them up and keep them out of the sun and heat they are fine.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline autologus

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 02:16:25 pm »
You have to have adequate air flow around your staves or you will have a serious mold problem.  Even having them in a bag for a single day you will have mold.  With it sealed good and in a cool dry place it should do ok.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 03:00:13 pm »
Yes try to slow the moisture release by using a sealant and having it in a cool place.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 03:32:52 pm »
Summer is year round for me. I just seal the ends with latex paint.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Don Case

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 04:16:50 pm »
OK the bag is out. Where I live in BC the summer temp rarely goes above 90f and I live 100yds from the ocean so the RH should be reasonably. Some say seal the ends and some just say seal. Is there any reason to seal the whole thing. This is Ocean Spray which apparently is bad for checking and it's tough to find decent staves so I don't want to screw them up. Does leaving a joint at the top and bottom of the stave help reduce checking?
Thanks
Don

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 05:05:41 pm »
good luck! I just harvest a bunch of ocean spray and sealed every inch with deck sealer. Every piece has check somewhere. I think I'll still get some bows out of the bunch but that stuff likes to check.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 05:39:02 pm »
Wood glue 6" on each and and also seal up little bumps and the bases of the small branches or where some have died and fallen off. Once the glue on the ends is dry, dip the ends in some urethane.
Then put them somewhere cool, and dry. 1+ yrs later. Good to go.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 09:45:02 pm »
With ocean spray I seal the entire thing.   I have had too many check when I have just sealed the ends and beauty marks.  It is a dense wood ~ .90 SG.  Such dense woods are very resistant to decay, so do your best to limit moisture loss.  That said, I wouldnt bag it.   I use shellac to seal the whole stave.  Some of the cheap deck sealers are simply too thin to get good sealing in one coat. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline DLH

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 10:00:26 pm »
This is a little impractical but what about dipping it in paraffin I know other types of wood like thick furniture stock is sealed like this but on the ends only. Is there any concern of sealing ocean spray too much?