Author Topic: First steps  (Read 936 times)

Don Case

First steps
« on: July 28, 2013, 09:57:17 pm »
Now that I have a place to ask questions I went out and got a couple of staves of Ocean Spray. They are 6' long and 1 3/8" on the big end. I've sealed the ends with acrylic paint and I'm leaving the bark on. What I need to know is do I strap them to something to try to get them to straighten out as they season? Do they need a precise caul or can I just strap them to a 4"x4" and wedge they into shape?
Thanks
Don

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Re: First steps
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 10:08:24 pm »
I can't speak for ocean spray....but I have done it with American hornbeam and persimmon.....works very well with them I know for sure.  That is being they are fresh cut.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: First steps
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 03:47:39 am »
Ocean Spray is prone to dry checking.  If not sealed really well it will check. Cut in the summer makes it more susceptible to checking.  I would suggest sealing the ends again and the strapping it down.  Also seal any knots or blemishes.  Keep it in a cool place the first month or so. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso