Author Topic: Peacock Feathers  (Read 2342 times)

Offline ncpat

Peacock Feathers
« on: July 26, 2013, 06:30:58 pm »
I may have a chance to get some peacock feathers. Not the long frilly ones, but the wing feathers. I got one recently, a large feather, well filled out on both sides. About the same black color of a goose feather.

Are peacock feathers legal to use?
Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Peacock Feathers
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 06:47:04 pm »
Yes, and would you like to trade some?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 10:06:25 pm »
Legal and ethical...unless you are poaching your neighbor's pets.  But then having had a neighbor with these Screamin' Mimi Super Pheasants, I don't think I would judge you for whacking them.  They must have horrific nightmares because in the summer they wake up every hour on the hour screaming their heads off.  Shooting them would be doing them and the neighborhood a favor.

And they DO taste like pheasant...8 lbs of pheasant. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 10:41:43 pm »
Yes,, quite tastie :P, especially after you hear them scream, "MOMMMMA" , everytime the neighbor's dog farts.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 03:24:02 am »

Yes indeedy! ;)  By all means use them.  You can catch them when they are strutting, and fanning their tail feathers out, just slip up behind them, and grab them.  However, if they are running wild, don't bother trying to get close enough to throw something at them, or try running after them once they start running, You will never get close, and then when you think you are gaining on them, they will just fly off.  I have tried that when I was younger, and tried to get close enough to hit them with a nice sized rock, and take it home, but that didn't work out.  Shoot them! >:(  They are quite tasty .  You can use the wing feathers, which have multiple colors, from barred, to golden bronze.  The tail feathers will make great trade items to the fly tiers on here.  Peacock hurl is always in demand.  They do make a bit of noise! ;)  they will honk like a Bombay Taxi, and then start with "Harrah, Harrah! among other vocalizations.  they have beautiful feathers, for fly tying, both the long tail feathers, and the back and neck feathers.  And again they are quite tasty!  If you have nice shiny car, and mating season is in, they will see their reflection, and peck the snot out of your nice shiny car paint.  In fact you will have to do some mighty fine buffing, to having to have the finish redone.  I know this, as a Friend of mine has a couple of nice old cars,he shows, including President Harry Truman's presidential Cadillac.  Well he comes out one day to see his neighbor's Peacock pecking the heck out of his 57 Chevy, and his multi layer finish!  He ended up having to have it redone. >:(  I know the sand hill cranes will do the same.  We had a nesting pair, that would nest each year, in one of the ponds at our station, and one of the guys was pissed, that they had pecked his car....... "really well!">:(  Yes use those feathers!  And if you have some corn, and a fishing rod, with a sliding noose, at the end of the line and have the noose on the ground, around the corn, and the peacock stick his head down to peck the corn,........ well you get the idea...... >:D >:D ::)  Or you could tell your neighbor you have seen a coyote around lately, and one evening, a uh, stray arrow, might accidentally hit and kill the noisy bird, well you could just take a bag of some scrap feathers and the feet, over to the neighbor, and say, well I guess the ol Coyote got him  :o.........  Look sad of course, and say, "Yeah, actually I really liked that bird."    Don't mention you meant the flavor though...... ;) ::) ;D ;D And mention that you figured something was up, as you were able to sleep in that day.   ::) ;D ;D
                                                                 Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 08:09:17 pm »
Huh, never thought of shifting blame onto a coyote.  Good t'inkin'.

Offline ncpat

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 10:47:34 pm »
No, I don't have the heart to shoot a peacock. I do some work for a customer with a farm. They have a few peacocks around who molt feathers. I may be able to get some of the molts from time to time.

Remember the heroes of Flight 93.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 11:30:03 pm »
Ok, yeah, you could do that too. Not as much fun. But yeah. I can see it.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 12:19:59 am »

If they are free, get em! ;) 8)  Just not as satisfying that way, ;D  but if you can get the molts, grab em.  Look for some neck feathers also, that may be lying around.  Like I said, they make beautiful fly making material as well as the tail feathers. ;)
     Yeah JW, it is like blaming the dog for farts....... ;) ;D ;D ::)
                                                      Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 12:49:08 am »
Dogs blame me for farting.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 01:20:09 am »

And I would assume for a good reason...... :P ::)

Wayne

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 04:27:33 pm »
  I've traded twice for them and got a dead one once off a farmer I hunted on. The old farmers must have been a different type because his primarys were way stiffer than the ones I traded for. (as stiff a buzzards primanys) I like the wing feathers the best but you could use the tail feathers. But to soft for me.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 05:08:20 pm »

The wing feathers are stiff like Turkey feathers.  The tail feathers, would make nice "Flu Flu's."  ;)  But you would get some scowls from the fly tiers on here. ;) ;D

Wayne