Author Topic: Making arrows: help needed with spine  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Shondy55

Making arrows: help needed with spine
« on: July 26, 2013, 04:24:28 pm »
Hey guys
I recently started making arrows and was wondering exactly what the spine is/ how you actually spine the arrow. I looked through the bamboo arrow build along and saw the spine section but was confused a bit, I just want to know exactly how to spine an arrow
Go O' seeker and may your quest be not in vain

Offline Newindian

Re: Making arrows: help needed with spine
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 04:42:37 pm »
The spine of an arrow is a measure of how much an arrow bends, this can also be affected by things like point weight, this measurement needs to be matched to the draw weight of the bow. in order to measure the spine you can either buy a spine tester or build one your self. Although I believe alot of people don't bother with finding the spine of bamboo/Cain arrows due to natural taper. You could also get an idea of what the spine is just by hanging a weight from the shafts and comparing them to each other
I like free stuff.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 06:05:57 pm »
here is a link to make an easy cheap spine tester
http://poorfolkbows.com/spine1.htm
Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline CORIUS

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 08:07:12 am »
For my spine tester i just screwed two hooks underneath my work bench 26" apart, drilled a hole in the bench at 13" and used a gatorade bottle filled with water to equal 2 pounds. Place the arrow on the hooks, put a dowel through the hole so it rests on the arrow and then hang the weight on the arrow at 13". Measure how much the dowel moved and then using the spine chart from the link that Ed gave you, covert your measurement to pounds. Boom done.
Where there's a will, there's a bow.

PA subscription #: PM108452