Author Topic: Good stuff to do with fresh mint leaves  (Read 2966 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Good stuff to do with fresh mint leaves
« on: July 23, 2013, 12:00:28 am »
got a crudton of mint- mom wants a 10x5' garden of it gone, and it seems a shame to throw out. Anyone have some good stuff to do with it?

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Good stuff to do with fresh mint leaves
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 12:04:48 am »
Muddle 8-10 leaves with a teaspoon of sugar and half a lime, add good white ru...um, you are too young for this recipe.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 12:07:42 am »
Muddle the leaves with sugar in a silver mug with crushed ice with a shot of bourbon.   ;)
  You can make mint tea with the leaves and add them to salads.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 12:53:28 am by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jeanette

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 12:54:42 am »
mint is good with fish /lemon/garlic/mint....teas are good mint jelly is great with pork or lamb .
fresh crushed mint rub on your dog or cat will kill fleas and ticks.
dry the plants strip the leaves they can be stoed or you can frees the leaves for ddinner parties freeze the fresh leaves in  ice cubes or lemon cubes for tea drinks or adult drinks.
use leaves to make mint ice cream.
put a hand full of dried leaves  in an old sock make a soak for the bath tub works great when you are tired.

mint is one of thos herbs you have to experament with

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 01:32:16 am »
Add it to tea is the only thing I'd have to use it for
I like osage

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 11:36:38 am »
If you have no use for them dried, such as to add to tea, you can freeze them in water in ice cube trays and keep the cubes in a plastic bag. This also is a way to preserve "fresh" basil and other herbs. The ice protects them from drying out............So they say.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 05:42:13 pm »
hm.... Sounds fun. i might make mint tea... see how it tastes...
it would probably make my dog smell better.
My cousin or dad might have interest in the bourbon/alcohol/stuff containing recipies.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 08:00:53 pm »
hm.... Sounds fun. i might make mint tea... see how it tastes...
it would probably make my dog smell better.
My cousin or dad might have interest in the bourbon/alcohol/stuff containing recipies.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say that it probably tastes pretty minty.   ;D

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 11:32:22 am »
Make a mohito!

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 01:28:27 pm »
Make a mohito!
Nope. too young. but my cousin likes them!

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 02:56:15 pm »
Make a mohito!
Nope. too young. but my cousin likes them!

That's your problem!  8)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 10:10:41 am »
Dry a bunch of it. I use dried mint in all kinds of stuff, like Jeanette said. Greek tzatziki sauce for deer gyros is one of my favorite recipes to use it in. Mint tea has been used forever as a relaxant and stress reliever. Mint tea with rum or bourbon is an even better relaxant and stress reliever. :D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 07:07:08 pm »

All the above, but for you and your Mom, take some fresh mint, leaves, and stems, and chop them up, and put them in a cup, or mortar and pestles, and mash them up good, probably will need a handful or so, and then wrap the mashed mess in cheese cloth, and squeeze out all the liquid you can, and then get a couple of Hershey bars, and put them in a double boiler, and slowly melt them, and pour in the mint, with just a little sugar.  Now you have mint chocolate, which you can pour into molds, and freeze, or store in the refrigerator, or use the melted mix, to pour over vanilla ice cream, or just the mint liquid over chocolate ice cream.  Lots of uses.  You can use half and half, and mix it with the chocolate, and mint, and use it over deserts, and such.  Don't just toss them.  Give them to neighbors, or friends, with the fore mentioned recipes along with the alcohol ones too.  Don't care for lamb at all, but for some reason, a lot of people do, so mint is a preferred addition to it.  Peppermint is also antibacterial.  But it can be somewhat toxic in a  strong concentration.  That is why if you look at the real mint extracts in the stores, they are about 89% alcohol, and water.  Even at that dilution, it is strong, and a little goes a long way, so with your fresh stuff, experiment with varying amounts to learn how much for whatever recipe you use.  Start at a drop at a time.

Enjoy!
                                                                    Wayne