Author Topic: Dogwood ID  (Read 2214 times)

Don Case

Dogwood ID
« on: July 28, 2013, 07:11:52 pm »
Can anyone ID this Dogwood? It has bright green suckers on it that are 1 to 2" in diameter. The little sprig in the picture is what is left of the flower cluster. I think the flowers were white. The leaf is 5" long. The tree is about 20' tall and about 5" at the butt.
Thanks
Don

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
Re: Dogwood ID
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 09:51:24 pm »
It would help to say where you are located... I'm not sure what you have, are the leaves and branches opposite or alternate?  It could be a dogwood, or possibly viburnum or buckthorn.  The only things here in KY that I typically see green new growth on are sassafras, boxelder and strawberry bush....

Don Case

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 10:08:11 pm »
Sorry, I'm on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. The leaves are opposite. Here's another picture that may help.
Don

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 12:33:20 am »
red twig dogwood
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Don Case

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 12:52:32 am »
That would have been my guess but it doesn't have red twigs. Am I missing something here?
Don

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 01:36:30 am »
I've noticed sometimes the 'red' dogwood around me is green, or certain shoots on a tree is green.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 01:39:15 am »
Pagada dogwood, alternate leaf dogwood.(Cornus alternafolia)...unless the leaves are opposite on the stems.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 01:52:14 am »
The leaves are opposite. I got to thinking about Red Osier and it's a small shrubby bush. This is a tree, as big as a Pacific Dogwood. I've looked through "Plants of Coastal British Columbia" by Pojar and Mackinnon and can't find it. By the looks of the leaf I'd swear that it was a Dogwood of some kind.
Don

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 12:50:34 pm »
I live in Wa. state. The red twig here near water can reach some impressive sizes. Go back to that shrub/bush/tree during the winter and see if it doesn't have red twigs then.

VMB

Don Case

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 01:49:05 pm »
Yup, I guess I'll have to wait.
Thanks for the input guys
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 07:48:26 pm »
Red twig dogwoods have red stems all year long.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 09:33:47 pm »
Pat,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornus_sericea

You ever do anything with the vine maple?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 11:24:38 pm »
Brian, I cut out the belly and am letting it season a bit. I do most on my bow building in the winter.
  There are green and yellow twig cultivars of Red Osier. Red osier is not indiginous to our area but it is used quite a bit in landscapes. Some with red twigs, some with green twigs and some with yellow twigs.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 11:28:28 pm »
red twig dogwood
+1 cause there is a dogwood growing in my yard that Mom planted when I was 2, looks almost just like that.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 02:27:37 am »
Hmm, thought yellow twig, and red twig were seperate......anyhow, the yellow I have seen in yards, but it does not grow here, or anywhere near here to my knowledge.

VMB